Wow, can you believe it’s October already? I mean, if you live in California there’s no way you’d be able to tell, because it is currently 100F outside. What better weather to use a grill in? (Because I sure as hell am not turning on the oven!) So, for my return to blogging I decided to go with something easy-to-execute, super tasty and that did not involve cooking indoors of any kind. The idea for these Smoky Sesame Avocado Crostini came from a similar, yet larger version that I put together for breakfast a couple of days ago.
Avocado toast is a great meal/snack, and perfect for when you have just gotten back from “vacation”, right after you had your house fumigated; ie. your house is totally empty and you just grabbed random stuff at the grocery store because you were so hungry. That being said, I made a few variations before trying out this recipe. I took one bite of the crunchy, creamy, smoky, salty toast and knew, I have to share this with the internet.
To be honest, I have really, really missed blogging; but, I have been finishing up writing my cookbook Vegan Bowl Attack (finally) as well as keeping busy with being a dessert columnist for VegNews (which is so very exciting for me). I’ll be making an effort to share awesome recipes with you more frequently, especially since I’m pretty stoked to be making anything that isn’t in a bowl right now. 😉
Just to make sure that I wasn’t the only one infatuated with these flavor bombs, I brought them over to my friend Amber of Fettle Vegan‘s (you have to check her site out if you’re not familiar) house last night, as an appetizer for her Taco Party Dinner! They were a complete success, and I’ll certainly be making them for other shindigs in the future. It doesn’t hurt that you can put these together in roughly 15 minutes! I even just brought the grilled crostini in a bag, along with all of the toppings on the side and assembled them right before serving. So easy!
One year: Pumpkin Banana Nut Chip Muffins // Two years: Garlicky Butternut Squash Sandwich // Three years: Pumpkin Curry Risotto
Smoky Sesame Avocado Crostini
Creamy avocado paired with roasted sesame seeds, a smoky pepper shake, sprouts and hot sauce make for a fancy-looking crostini that is a quick and delicious appetizer!
- 1 baguette, sour dough or french will work
- 1 tablespoon vegan mayo or coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon ground chipotle powder
- Pinch of dulse flakes
- 2 in avocados, cut half and pitted
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup pea shoots/sprouts or micro-greens
- Optional: Sriracha or my favorite Yellowbird Red Jalapeño Sauce, for drizzling
- Optional: Additional smoked salt for finishing
- Warm your grill to medium-low flame (roughly 300F). Cut twelve 1/2" thick slices of bread, diagonally, from the baguette. Spread a VERY thin layer of vegan mayo onto each side of the slices, then place on the grill, toasting until there are grill marks (approx. 3 minutes) on each side.
- While the bread is toasting, place the nutritional yeast, smoked salt, onion powder, paprika, chipotle, and dulse into a coffee grinder and pulse until evenly combined. Set shake aside.
- Taking half of an avocado, cut 1/4" wide slices into it widthwise. Once the crostini is grilled, place 2-3 slices of avocado on each piece of bread. Next, divide the sesame seeds between the slices along with the hot sauce, if using.
- Top each crostini with a few pea shoots and a pinch of smoky pepper shake. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Woohoo! Let me know if you try these Smoky Sesame Avocado Crostini out, as I love to see your versions of my recipes. Just @veganyackattack on Instagram and Twitter, or comment here! <3
Halloween Cookie Shake – Dairy-free – Vegan Yack Attack
Wednesday 9th of October 2019
[…] year: Kabocha Squash Feta Salad // 3 years: Fall Farro Protein Bowl // 4 years: Smoky Sesame Avocado Crostini // 5 years: Pumpkin Banana Nut Muffins // 6 years: Roasted Tofu Kale Tacos // 7 years: Vegan […]
16 VEGAN APPETIZERS – The Lifestyle Hacks | Food Recipes, Fitness, & DIY
Monday 17th of December 2018
[…] Smoky Sesame Avocado Crostini […]
20 PARTY VEGAN FINGER FOOD – The Lifestyle Hacks | Food Recipes, Fitness, & DIY
Monday 17th of December 2018
[…] Smoky Sesame Avocado Crostini from Jackie at Vegan Yack Attack […]
Chai Waffles with Cinnamon Apple Topping – Vegan Yack Attack
Wednesday 17th of October 2018
[…] years: Smoky Sesame Avocado Crostini // 4 years: Pumpkin Cream Cheese-Stuffed French Toast // 5 years: Pretzel Dogs of the Dead // 6 […]
35 Vegan Party Food Recipes | My Goodness Kitchen
Saturday 6th of October 2018
[…] love the simplicity of these Smoky Sesame Avocado Crostini from Jackie at Vegan Yack […]