Can we all agree that on some level the cuter the food, the better it tastes? This recipe for example: Mini Blueberry Cardamom Donuts!! Donuts are already loved by so many, but when you make them small they are guaranteed to be pretty irresistible.
Clearly, this is the truth, because even before actual donuts were in the picture I was seduced by the possibilities that come with owning a mini-donut pan and fought the urge to buy one. I lost that battle and am now not mad about having one in my kitchen. Mini-donut-shaped things for everyone!
I’ve been wanting to use freeze-dried fruit in a pastry of some sort for a while now; mostly because they work really well in oil/fat-based frosting, as opposed to using fresh fruit or even jams and jellies. For this recipe I was able to grind freeze-dried blueberries (found at my local grocer) and use them to give the icing a deep blue purple color and a hint of blueberry flavor.
For the cake, I was inspired by this baked donut recipe from Baker Bettie, but did change a large amount of the recipe including the baking portion, and decided that a cardamom-spiced donut would pair wonderfully with the blueberry icing. I can’t wait to try all kinds of flavor combinations, in the future!
Aside from making the recipe vegan, I also reduced the amount of oil in it, making these sweet morsels more appealing to eat multiple of. Because, why would you eat just one? I really dare you to try. 😉 These treats are also great to make and give to friends that are feeling down; I tested this out myself and the success rate of cheering up is 100% so far!
- 2 tablespoons soft coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons aquafaba, liquid from chickpea can
- 1/3 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup freeze-dried blueberries
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon non-dairy milk
- tablespoons Optional: roughly 3 vegan sugar pearls for topping, Wiltons doesn't use confectioner's glaze
- Preheat oven to 400F, and lightly coat a 30-count, mini donut pan with oil.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the coconut oil, apple sauce, and sugar together using a whisk or hand mixer. Add aquafaba, non-dairy milk, and vanilla extract, whisk until combined.
- Sift flour, baking powder, cardamom, and salt into the mixing bowl; stirring until the batter has no dry pockets. Pour batter into a piping bag or resealable zip bag, with the corner cut for a small opening. Pipe batter into each donut mold, filling to the top (not over).
- Bake donuts for 5-7 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick draws clean. Place baking sheet on cooling rack for at least 15 minutes before carefully removing donuts.
- While donuts are cooling, place blueberries into a coffee grinder or small food processor and pulse until they become a fine powder. Sift the ground blueberries and powdered sugar into a small mixing bowl, making sure there are no chunks.
- Add coconut oil and non-dairy milk to mixing bowl, whisking vigorously until smooth. Once the donuts are cooled, dunk the top half of them into the glaze, letting the excess drip off. Place on cooling rack or wax paper, and top with a few sugar pearls or vegan sprinkles if you desire.
- Serve after all are iced, or place them in the refrigerator in a covered container for up to a day before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 30Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving:Unsaturated Fat: 0g
More ideas for your Mini Blueberry Cardamom Donuts!
- Serve these up at parties! Maybe even sports-related? Maybe even Super Bowl-related?
- Make some for your sweetie around V-day
You’re welcome. <3