It seems as though I can’t get enough berries in my life! It’s hard to resist them with their cute size, bright colors, and pops of flavor; they’re like edible jewelry, though far more messy than my other accessories ;). I also have VegNews to thank for this Spring White Chocolate Matcha Bark recipe, in that I just did a shoot for them on all kinds of vegan white chocolates; leaving me with a surplus of sweet, heavenly goodness that I needed to put to good use.
Now, in my experience, white chocolate can be pretty polarizing in terms of how people feel about it. For me, I don’t mind it and definitely think it has its place in the world of desserts and sweets. Taking that into consideration, I wanted to balance out the overly sweet nature of white chocolate with tart berries, the subtle flavor of matcha, candied lemon pieces and a pinch of salt to even everything out. (You can find vegan white chocolate chips online!)
This Spring White Chocolate Matcha Bark can be made in under 30 minutes, and is absolutely gorgeous, which makes it the perfect dessert to bring to an Easter brunch or to treat yourself and some friends with, whenever you like! I can picture a plate full of this delicious bark sitting amongst tea sandwiches, cookies and cups of coffee on a bright spring morning. Ideal, yes?
Before I get to the recipe, I must say, I went to the Natural Products Expo (West) this past weekend for the fifth time (what?!), and what a crazy four days! So, so many new vegan products and brands of which I’ve posted some pictures of on my Facebook page. My favorite item there was the new Breakfast Scramble Pocket from gardein, which was seriously so good.
Now, onto the Bark!
Spring White Chocolate Matcha Bark
- 4 slices thin of lemon
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon water
- 1 cup + 1/4 cup vegan white chocolate chips divided
- 1 tablespoon + 1/2 teaspoon refined coconut oil divided
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon food-grade matcha tea powder depending on how strong you want the flavor to be
- 3 tablespoons chopped raw pistachios
- 1/4 cup raspberries
- 1/4 cup blueberries
- Dash of fine sea salt
- Prepare a baking sheet or dish by lining it with parchment paper, set aside.
- Place lemon slices in a small sauce pan, sprinkle sugar over the top and add water to pan. Warm over medium heat, until it simmers. Cook slices for 3 minutes, flip over and cook until remaining liquid is gone.
- Carefully place the lemon slices on parchment paper to cool.
- In two double boilers (I place an oven-proof bowl over a small pot with a 1/2-inch of water), warm 1 cup vegan white chocolate chips and 1 tablespoon coconut oil in one, while melting the 1/4 cup chips, 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil and matcha in the other. Whisk occasionally over low-medium heat until both mixtures are completely smooth.
- Carefully pour the plain white chocolate mixture over the baking sheet lined with parchment paper, until about 1/4 inch high. Dollop the matcha white chocolate over the top, use a knife or toothpick to swirl the two together.
- Tap baking sheet down lightly to even the top of the chocolate. Cut lemon slices into 8 small pieces, then sprinkle them over the chocolate, along with the pistachios, raspberries, blueberries and sprinkle of salt.
- Place baking sheet in a freezer for 10 minutes, or until completely solid. Break/slice into smaller pieces, and store in your refrigerator until ready to serve!