I have a list of to-make recipe ideas in my phone that grows and grows the more I’m inspired or feeling creative. Admittedly, some of them I get around to later than others, and this delightful Chipotle White Bean Salad Sandwich falls into that category. My note was “Chipotle Egg Salad Sandwich”, but my thinking was in line with a spicy tofu/egg-style salad, because that just sounds amazing, and sandwiches RULE.
When I really got into thinking about how it was going down, I wanted to switch up the salad and make it a bean base, with added texture from soaked cashews. I had never done it before, but man, was it successful!
It turned out cool in temperature, warm in flavor with chipotle and smoked paprika, then was topped with grilled peppers and corn, fresh greens, and mashed avocado; all between some amazing, crusty bread from Lodge Bread Co. in Culver City. Usually, I wouldn’t specify, but I went there for the first time the other day and got this loaf and am now fully in love/obsessed with their bread.
You can easily make this recipe soy-free by using a soy-free vegan mayo or making your own! If you’d like to prepare this for a work or weekday lunch, make the salad, grilled veggies and mashed avocado separately and refrigerate until you’re ready to assemble; like a delicious and colorful meal masterpiece. 😀
In other news, I’m planning out the book tour for when Vegan Bowl Attack!comes out in July (AHH!), which is very exciting and a little anxiety-inducing. I have a few cities in mind that I definitely want to arrange an event/tasting/demo in, but would love to hear your suggestions! I’m really looking forward to meeting awesome people all over the US. If you haven’t yet, I highly suggest you preorder a copy for yourself. There is a pre-sale price guarantee on Amazon and right now the book is $12 (45% off) so take advantage!
Chipotle White Bean Salad
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, plus hot water for soaking
- 15 ounce can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo, soy-free
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow or orange bell pepper
- 1 jalapeno
- 1/4 cup corn kernels (I used frozen corn, thawed)
- 1/4 cup mashed avocado
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups baby arugula, kale or similar, loosely packed
- slices Optional: 4 vegan cheese
- 8 slices of bread
Chipotle White Bean Salad
- In a small bowl, soak the cashews in very hot water for 15 minutes. Once they have softened, drain and rinse them.
- In a mixing bowl, place white beans and red onion, chop soaked cashews and add them to the bowl. Add vegan mayo, dijon mustard, chipotle, paprika, chili powder, and salt into the white bean mixture, stirring it together until combined evenly.
- Place bowl in refrigerator to chill for 20 minutes, and move on to prepping grilled peppers.
- Heat a grill to 350F, once hot place bell peppers and jalapeño straight onto it, and put the corn kernels in a foil packet/box then place on grill. Blacken peppers on all sides, takes roughly 10 minutes, and cook corn until there are brown areas, but not burnt, roughly 3 minutes.
- Once peppers are blackened, place them in a paper bag to soften the skin enough to remove it. Remove seeds and stems from peppers and slice them thinly, set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix mashed avocado with lime juice and pinch of salt. Spread mixture onto four of the eight slices of bread. Divide white bean salad between the remaining four slices, then top it with the greens, grilled peppers and corn, optional vegan cheese slice, and lastly, the avocado bread pieces.
- Proceed to eat and enjoy the hell out of this sandwich!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving:Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Chipotle White Bean Salad Sandwich switch-ups!
- If you don’t have white beans on hand, chickpeas will work, as well!
- Grill the sandwich in a panini press for more of a melt-like feel. Either versions are drool worthy!
Last, but never least, Happy Earth Day, everyone! My next post will be on ways that we can change our impact on the planet and I can’t wait to share it with you. <3