Things have been pretty crazy over here, gearing up for the launch of Vegan Bowl Attack!(can you believe it’s almost here?!), cranking out fun recipes for you awesome readers, and keeping up with photo projects. Meanwhile, I’m trying to stay consistent with my workouts and being more active in general, which can be hard sometimes. I’m incorporating more activities, so that I don’t get bored with only weight training and select cardio. This is where Strawberry Banana Nut Protein Muffins play a role!
Incorporating more protein in my diet has proven to help with my recovery time, and keeps hunger at bay better between meals. Usually, I do this by eating nut butters, higher quantities of beans and quinoa, or other protein-rich foods. But, sometimes, I need something lighter, that I can put together quickly; that is where plant-based protein powders come in.
I’ve tried so many vegan protein powders, and if you have, you know that everyone has their favorite or is still searching for something perfect. Many factors can come into play, quality of ingredients, cost, texture and taste. When I was given the chance to test out ALOHA plant-based protein powder, I couldn’t resist! Their formula is organic (yes!), free of gluten, soy, dairy, and artificial ingredients, made with wholesome ingredients like pea and seed protein, and has 18g of protein per serving.
I tried the vanilla, first mixed with just water so that I could really see what it was like. The protein blend was not overly gritty, the vanilla flavor was subtle, and because it is sweetened with coconut sugar and apple juice, it is not overly sweet and doesn’t have that gross stevia aftertaste (thank you!). As much as I’m cool with having it as a quick drink I wanted to try it out in a recipe to make a quick, delicious breakfast treat to have throughout the week, once I returned from the gym.
Strawberry Banana Nut Protein Muffins it is! These fluffy, moist, mini-breads are filled with banana, strawberries, walnuts, whole wheat flour, ALOHA vanilla protein powder and topped with coconut. All things I love and can’t resist. The protein powder did not give it any weird aftertaste and was barely detectable, aside from the hint of vanilla. I will definitely be making these again, and maybe with pineapple chunks and macadamia nuts for a tropical twist!
- 6 tablespoons hot water
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup organic sugar
- 1/2 cup ALOHA Vanilla Protein Powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups mashed banana
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup diced strawberries
- 1/4 cup large coconut flakes, unsweetened
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a cupcake pan with papers.
- In a small bowl, whisk hot water and ground flaxseed together and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift whole wheat flour, sugar, ALOHA protein powder, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt together.
- In another bowl, whisk mashed banana, coconut oil, flaxseed mixture, and vanilla extract together, until combined.
- Pour wet mixture into dry and fold together, without overmixing, until there are no dry patches in the batter. Fold walnuts and strawberry pieces into batter, until incorporated.
- Fill cupcake liners even with the top, sprinkling each muffin with large coconut flakes. Bake for 28-30 minutes, or until a toothpick draws clean. Rest on cooling rack for at least 10-15 minutes before pulling from pan.
- Enjoy for up to 5 days, or 7 days refrigerated.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving:Unsaturated Fat: 0g
On a separate note, I love that their protein powder comes in a cool tin, that you can reuse in a multitude of ways, and disguise better than plastic tubs. You can find ALOHA at Target, or subscribe online to have it delivered to your doorstep!
This post has been sponsored by ALOHA, with all opinions being honest and my own. Collaborations with companies make it easier for me to keep the free content coming to you!