It’s almost Memorial Day, can you believe it? Each year, I feel like time flies by faster and faster and this year is no different. It has been quite a whirlwind and here we are, nearly half way through 2016! Now, it’s getting to be BBQ and backyard party season; pretty much my favorite (right after Fall). I’ve got the perfect adult beverage for you to enjoy at all of these shindigs: Spiked Orange Julius!
Some of you may be familiar with mall food courts and those stands that provide (provided?) frosty treats by the name of Orange Julius. These things are essentially blended up orange creamsicles! Sweet, citrusy, hints of creamy vanilla and refreshingly cold.
What better way to cool down in the coming summer months that with a drink like that? I have a boozy, and admittedly slightly more wholesome version for you, using Silk’s Toasted Coconut + Cashews Nutchello. Imagine a tasty non-dairy milk with slightly more body, a super pleasant flavor and some added sweetness; that is this nutchello. It’s great in drinks, and I love to use it as a lighter creamer in my coffee.
Under the guise of making this “healthier”, I’ve added hemp seeds to the Spiked Orange Julius for their creamy-ness when blended, as well as being rich in omega-3/6, and full of plant-based protein. I used agave nectar as a sweetener, as opposed to sugar, but you can test out making this with coconut sugar or stevia as alternatives. But, to go all out, I topped it off with some rice whip, and I regret nothing!
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup Silk Toasted Coconut + Cashew Nutchello
- 2 ounces Vanilla Vodka
- 2 ounces Cointreau
- 2 tablespoons hulled hemp seeds
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup ice, plus more if you want a more slushy-like beverage
- Optional: vegan whipped cream and orange zest, for topping
- Place ingredients into blender in the order listed, puree until completely smooth. Add more sweetener to preference, if necessary.
- Pour orange julius mixture into to tall glasses, over ice. Top with vegan whip and zest, serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving:Unsaturated Fat: 0g
This post has been sponsored by Silk, with all opinions being honest and my own. Collaborations with companies make it easier for me to keep the free content coming to you!