Grilled Peaches and Cream Pastry – Beautiful peaches atop a creamy, vanilla yogurt filling and flaky pastry crust, topped with a balsamic reduction and basil. A delicious, easy, and fancy dessert!
It seems as though I am keeping my reputation as a person who bakes during the summer alive and well, and we’re only in the first week of it! But, how can I resist with all of these beautiful, seasonal stone fruits in the store? I will bake them all! Okay, and make some non-baked goods, to even it out. In this case, I have a delicious dessert of Grilled Peaches and Cream Pastry.
I’m pretty convinced that puff pastry can make anything fancy (I have yet to have this theory disproven), and this easy-to-make treat is a great example of this. All you have to do is thaw vegan puff pastry (there are a couple of brands like Pepperidge Farms and Aussie Bakery), lay it out on parchment paper, score a couple of lines in the top layers, fill it with creamy yogurt goodness and grilled peaches.
To compliment the sweetness of the pastry filling, this dish is topped with a drizzle of balsamic reduction and fresh basil (also courtesy of this wondrous Summer season). All of these flavors come together as a harmonious chorus upon your tongue!
I highly suggest making this for a quick, tea-time dessert or for serving with a sparkling cocktail amongst friends. And just maybe, because there is fruit and yogurt involved, you could use this to treat yourself to a sweet breakfast or morning snack. 😉
- 8 ounces fresh yellow peaches
- 3/4 cup plain non-dairy yogurt
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 6 ounce or 1/2 sheet vegan puff pastry, I used frozen and thawed it for 20 minutes
- Cooking oil spray
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut sugar, or brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chiffonade-cut fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Heat a grill over medium flame (roughly 350F).
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together plain yogurt, maple syrup, vanilla extract and salt until combined; set aside.
- Slice peaches into 1/2" thick wedges, brush oil on the grates and grill peaches for 2-3 minutes on one side, flipping when the grill marks are pronounced. Grill for another 1-2 minutes and remove.
- Lay puff pastry on parchment paper and roll out lightly to smooth it out. Score a light-cut 1" wide border around the sheet (as pictured). Spread yogurt mixture out and arrange grilled peach slices on top. Bake for 15-17 minutes or until pastry borders have risen and are golden brown.
- While pastry is baking, bring balsamic and coconut sugar to a simmer in a small saute pan over medium heat. Simmer for 5 to 7 minutes or until the mixture has reduced. Take off of heat, it will thicken more as it cools.
- Once the pastry is baked, let cool for 5 minutes before drizzling with balsamic reduction and sprinkling fresh basil over the top. Serve warm or once it has cooled, either was is delicious!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving:Unsaturated Fat: 0g