During the late fall and most of winter, I feel as though I go between eating awesome brunches and great dinners, for the holidays. Everything in between is mostly snacking and maybe a smoothie or two. While I’m in that mode, I’ll take advantage of coming up with tasty brunch dishes. Last week, I posted a recipe for awesome Glazed Cranberry Orange Scones, and to balance out the sweet, I made this savory Crustless Bacon Brussels Quiche!
My mom used to make Quiche for my family all of the time, when I was a kid (and not vegan). They were always so comforting, and she made several different flavors depending on everyone’s mood. Broccoli Cheese was always one of my favorites! So, I thought that revamping it with roasted brussels sprouts and tempeh bacon would be a good idea, and I certainly was not wrong.
The Quiche is crustless more-so because I am lazy and didn’t feel like making my own crust, or running out to buy one. Chickpea/Garbanzo flour makes up the base of the quiche, adding lots of plant-based protein and fiber to the dish. You can be flexible with the mix-ins, but I chose roasted brussels, homemade tempeh bacon and vegan cheese shreds. I feel like a tempeh bacon, tomato and spinach quiche would be amazing!
Black Indian Salt AKA Kala Namak adds an eggy flavor to the quiche, and can be found in almost any Indian Market or online. And, if you can’t find any vegan cheddar shreds at a store near you, leaving them out is not a big deal! Just make the recipe the same without the shreds, maybe adding a little more salt in their place.
Before I get to the recipe, I wanted to give you a heads up on the gift guide I’ll be posting later this week! So many good ideas, from DIY treats to awesome books and cool products from small, vegan companies; plus a giveaway. Stay tuned via my newsletter!
1 year: Cranberry Cointreau Ice Cream // 2 years: Butternut Bisque with Grilled Cheese Dippers // 3 years: Apple Pie on the Rocks // 4 years: Pecan Persimmon Oatmeal // 5 years: Orange Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies
Crustless Bacon Brussels Quiche
- 6 ounces tempeh bacon either store-bought or the recipe from Vegan Bowl Attack!
- 1 tablespoon high-heat cooking oil
- 1 1/2 cups quartered brussels sprouts outer leaves removed
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- Salt & pepper
- 1 cup garbanzo/chickpea flour
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Black Indian Salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup vegan cheddar shreds optional
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onions for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Lay tempeh bacon out on 1/2 of baking sheet.
- In a medium mixing bowl, place oil, brussels, yellow onion, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir together until evenly mixed and coated with oil. Spread mixture out on other half of baking sheet, and roast for 10 minutes, or until brussels begin to brown.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir chickpea flour, nutritional yeast, cornstarch, black Indian salt, and black pepper, until combined. Whisk vegetable broth into the dry mixture, until smooth, with no dry clumps, then set aside. Coat a 9-inch pie pan, lightly, with oil.
- When the brussels and tempeh bacon are done roasting, break the tempeh into smaller pieces and set a few aside. Add brussels, bacon and onions, along with the cheddar shreds to the quiche base.
- Stir together until evenly mixed, and add more salt if you feel it is necessary. Transfer mixture to pie pan and top with remaining pieces of tempeh bacon.
- Lower oven temperature to 350F, and bake quiche for 40-42 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned and it is not jiggly when bumped. Cool on rack for 10 minutes, top with green onions, then serve.
Lastly, other great flavor combos for the Crustless Bacon Brussels Quiche:
- Tempeh Bacon, chopped tomatoes, spinach, then topped with avocado
- Broccoli and Cheddar
- Roasted butternut squash with sage and vegan feta