With winter holidays come some of my favorite treats: cookies! I love spending a day baking in the kitchen; especially when it has been wet and chilly like it has here. The warm oven, terrific aromas, and the quality assurance testing for each batch… 😉 So, for this season’s cookie platter, I used a couple of my favorite recipes! Plus, a new recipe for delicious Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies, just for you (and maybe me).
Now, while I was thinking of what this cookie party would consist of, a few things came to mind. Firstly, there needs to be variety of tasty treats, secondly, they need to be seasonal-ish, and third, it’s great if they all look and taste pretty differently! Another important factor in this equation is what to serve these on. I don’t have many platters, and certainly only one fairly large one. It’s pretty plain looking, and right now I’m feeling quite festive!
Enter: Lenox’s Holiday Oblong Platter. This gorgeous piece is 15″ long, so you can really pile on the cookies. There’s also a cute holly design that decorates the plate, and a gold rim that is oh-so-fancy — while still being dishwasher safe and currently 50% off! I found it really lightweight and perfect for serving up my Glazed Cranberry Orange Scones (minified), my Salted Triple-Chip Cookies (from my VegNews column in issue 101), and these rich Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies.
No party-goer, nor Santa, could be disappointed by being served sweet treats, and especially not on this beautiful platter! It also doesn’t hurt to serve hot cocoa in some huge, matching mugs. 🙂 You can findLenox glassware and dishwareat Bed, Bath & Beyond and Macy’s.
Now, to the recipe! Huge chocolate chunks, chopped candy cane, cocoa cookies and a vegan white chocolate drizzle. Need I say more?
Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- 1/2cupbrown sugar
- 1/2cup+ 2 tablespoons canola oil or melted coconut oil
- 1/2cupunsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1tablespoonground flaxseed
- 2teaspoonsvanilla extract
- 2cupsunbleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4cupcocoa powder
- 1teaspoonbaking powder
- 1/2teaspoonbaking soda
- 3/4cupvegan chocolate chunks/chips
- 3/4cupchopped peppermint candies
- 3/4cupchopped vegan white chocolate
- 1/2cupfinely chopped peppermint candies
- Preheat oven to 350F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together sugars, oil, non-dairy milk, flaxseed and vanilla extract until combined evenly. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt, until combined. Add wet mixture into dry, mixing well until there are no dry spots. Fold chocolate chips and peppermint chunks into cookie dough.
- Scoop roughly 2-tablespoon-sized mounds onto the baking sheets, spread 1 1/2" apart. Flatten slightly and repeat until all dough is used; this should create 24-28 cookies.
- Place cookies in oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, switching racks midway through. Cool cookies on rack for 20 minutes before finishing them.
- Melt vegan white chocolate chunks by either microwaving for 30 seconds or using the double-boiler method. Whisk until smooth and wait for it to cool down enough for drizzling. Test this out by drizzling your finger and seeing if it melts everywhere or creates nice lines (you want the latter).
- Drizzle white chocolate over cookies and top with chopped candy pieces. Serve, or let set for 15 minutes before packaging for friends!
Another great idea for these Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies is to package them up as gifts for friends and family!
This post is in partnership with Lenox and Women’s Choice Award, all words and opinions are my own. Posts like these help me to keep this blog and more recipes coming your way.