Exciting news! I’m done shooting the Main Street Vegan Academy Cookbook, which will be out in December. And while I do enjoy the perks of eating my work, I am happy to be in the kitchen creating my own recipes, again. Especially since I get to share them with all of you! To ease myself back into thinking up dishes, I went for a simple, delicious meal of Sweet Breakfast Tostadas.
Think, glorified avocado toast, but better! Tostadas are crunchy tortillas, typically topped with savory items like beans, cheese, marinated meats, and salsa. Living in Southern California my whole life, I’ve been surrounded by them and have enjoyed many! One thing I love about them is that you can easily customize them however you like, and they are so simple-to-make.
I went the sweet route with this recipe, to switch things up a bit; and love the combination of crunchy, creamy and the flavors of fresh fruits. These Sweet Breakfast Tostadas would be great served with brunch, or as a tasty snack. If you make these during the summer, adding fresh mango or pineapple would also be pretty amazing!
In other news, I’m going to start implementing more camping-style recipes into the blog! I was wondering if you had any questions or issues that you’ve run into while prepping food or trying to come up with outdoor eats. If so, comment and I’d love to help come up with solutions!
- 4 corn tortillas
- cooking oil spray
- 1/2 cup vegan cream cheese, or thick cashew cream
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup, plus extra for topping
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh mint, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 2/3 cup sliced avocado
- 2/3 cup sliced strawberries
- 2/3 cup blueberries
- 2/3 cup raspberries
- Preheat oven to 350F. Place tortillas on baking sheet and spray lightly with cooking oil. Bake for 15 minutes or until tortillas are crunchy. You can also buy tostada shells to skip this step! (prep fruit while tortillas are baking)
- In a small bowl, whisk together cream cheese, lemon juice, maple syrup, 1/2 teaspoon mint, 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest, vanilla and salt, until smooth.
- When the tostadas have cooled, spread the cream cheese mixture (roughly 2 tablespoons for each one) on top. Then, top each one with avocado, strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries.
- Lastly, garnish with 1 teaspoon mint, 1 teaspoon lemon zest and a drizzle of maple syrup (optional). A pinch of coarse salt, over these, is also very delicious! Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Other ideas for your Sweet Breakfast Tostadas!
- Turn these treats into fun desserts by topping with chocolate sauce and coconut shreds.
- Add some protein by sprinkling the tostadas with toasted pumpkin seeds or chopped almonds.
- Use orange juice and zest, instead of lemon, and sprinkle cinnamon on the tortillas before baking for a more Fall-vibe.
Pin it for later!