It may sound hard to believe, but a lot of times I don’t switch up my breakfasts much. I mean, I LOVE breakfast food. A lot. Those days when your first priority is getting coffee inside of you, and the second is nutrition, find me often. Typically, breakfast is one of four things: smoothie, pancakes, oatmeal or maybe toast. So, I thought I’d put together a fun brunch treat that is as tasty as it is nutritious, Toasted Quinoa-Stuffed Mangos!
Now, I remember when I first went vegan, quinoa was just gaining in popularity. It makes sense, as quinoa has as much as 18% protein content, and is high in vitamins and minerals. When it became trendy, things needed to be considered in the cultivation and harvesting of this seed. Just like coffee, cacao or sugar, it’s best to look for quinoa that is Fair Trade-certified (since it’s internationally grown). It also helps when quinoa is organic & non-GMO certified, which means growing practices won’t ruin the land.
All of that to say, not many brands have all of these certifications going for it. I Heart Keenwah, on the other hand, does. Typically, quinoa found in stores is not toasted, and can taste a bit grassy. (I know Corey hates that about it) But, this toasted variety is more nutty and has a deeper flavor, without you having to worry about burning it yourself! I may have done that in the past. 😉
I imagined the quinoa would be great made creamy and served with sweet fruits. The cacao nibs and hemp hearts on top don’t hurt, either. These toasted quinoa-stuffed mangos a filled with beautiful fruit and flavor! I remember, after making them, my mom was around and “famished”, as she put it. As soon as I was done shooting these beauts’ she tried them and fell in love. It’s not hard to do, let me tell you.
Say you have a brunch scheduled and you need to bring something fun, gorgeous and delicious. These are what you should bring! They’re perfect for sharing, snacking on, or you can eat two for a full serving. If you’re craving even more protein, top the toasted quinoa-stuffed mangos with toasted almonds!
- 1/2 cup I Heart Keenwah White Toasted Quinoa
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk, plus water if needed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar, add more if you like it sweeter
- 4 mangos
- 1/2 cup peeled & diced kiwi, (about 2 kiwis)
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 2 tablespoons hemp hearts
- 2 tablespoons cacao nibs
- Warm a medium pan over medium heat, place quinoa, non-dairy milk, vanilla, and salt into it, with cover partially vented. Bring to a simmer and adjust heat to medium-low, simmer for 20 to 23 minutes or until all liquid has been absorbed and the quinoa is fluffy. You may need to add more water or non-dairy milk in the last few minutes, as it is harder to absorb.
- While the quinoa is cooking, slice the mango halves off, lengthwise, very close to the pit. Scoop out the mango flesh, either using a spoon, or pressing the inside edge of the mango against the rim of a glass and sliding it over (as pictured).
- Chop mango and place 1 cup of it in a large mixing bowl, with the kiwi and blueberries. (freeze the rest of the mango pieces for a smoothie!) When quinoa is done cooking, stir in coconut sugar until combined. Let mixture cool, or refrigerate it for 20 minutes.
- Mix half of the fruit with quinoa and scoop it into the 8 mango shells. Top with remaining fruit, hemp hearts and cacao nibs. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving:Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Another version of these Toasted Quinoa-Stuffed Mangos would be great with strawberries, and toasted coconut on top.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of I Heart Keenwah. The opinions and text are all mine. Posts like these help keep this blog & more free recipes coming your way!