I know, I’ve been teasing you with this recipe for a bit. But, good news, it’s finally here! What could be more perfect for Summer brunches than refreshing watermelon? Oh, I know! Combining it with hibiscus (jamaica) tea, orange juice, and of course, champagne! With an equation as beautiful as this, we end up with Watermelon Hibiscus Mimosas. Mmm…
I must say, if it wasn’t for Amber, from Fettle Vegan’s, bachelorette party these Watermelon Hibiscus Mimosas may not have happened. That, and maybe the seemingly random meeting of fresh-brewed hibiscus tea and a boozy drink, that happened a couple of weeks ago? Either way, I’m so glad that this happened and that now you can enjoy it, too.
There was another force that helped these beautiful mimosas happen (for all 15 of us), and it was Lenox! As you may have read before, I have ALL of the dishes ever, and like, no glassware. Making this many drinks happen -for such a special occasion- meant getting glassware that I knew would be of great quality, durable, and classic. I really love their Tuscany Classics line, and the flutes are break-resistant, lead-free crystal! Believe, me, this was so useful when doling out drinks near the pool (not too close).
I’m honestly not a huge wine drinker, but the Watermelon Hibiscus Mimosas paired with these gorgeous (dishwasher-safe) 😉 glasses, was amazing. Now, Amber is allergic to sulfites, which makes wine drinking nearly impossible. That’s not considering having to find a vegan sparkling wine, on top of that! (thank goodness for Barnivore, y’all) So, I made hers with Kombucha Beer, which was so good! If you want a virgin version, use sparkling water or Kombucha in place of the wine. Still, so refreshing!
If you’re looking for a wonderful brunch beverage, look no further. And if you’re looking for great champagne glasses, you can find Lenox at Bed, Bath & Beyond or Macy’s! Remember, if you break a Lenox piece, you can replace it for 50% off, which is huge. Especially, to have such nice serving ware. I can’t forget to mention the stunning Tuscany Classics pierced pitcher I used for the orange juice; I’m totally using it for fresh lemonade and tea, this summer!
Watermelon Hibiscus Mimosas
For Watermelon Hibiscus Mix
- 1/4 cup dried hibiscus flowers (jamaica)
- 10 ounces hot water
- 1 1/2 cup chopped watermelon
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 2 cups orange juice with pulp (helps with layering)
- One 750mL bottle vegan champagne or sparkling wine I used Jaume Serra Cristalino Brut Cava
- 16 blackberries
- Steep hibiscus flowers in hot water for 5-7 minutes, then drain tea and refrigerate until chilled. Add hibiscus tea and watermelon to a blender, puree until smooth.
- Pour watermelon mixture through cheese cloth to remove most pulp. Stir agave in, to sweeten to taste. Chill until ready to assemble mimosas.
- In a champagne flute, pour 3 ounces champagne/sparkling wine, then 2 ounces orange juice. Using a spoon, pour 2 ounces watermelon mixture into flute, down the inside wall. It should settle at the bottom (depending on the density of the OJ).
- Plop in two blackberries and serve! Repeat for remaining 7 mimosas.
If you’re not into Watermelon Hibiscus Mimosas, what’s your dream mimosa?
This post is in partnership with Lenox and Women’s Choice Award, all words and opinions are my own. Posts like these help me to keep this blog and more recipes coming your way!