Summer is definitely here, in both CA and in NY, where I just got home from! I was working Summer Fancy Food Show, which you may have seen on my instagram/twitter/etc. It was a fun experience that I will talk more about in another post! For now, I’m excited about the 4th of July coming up and all the grilling that is going down. What better to make than extremely flavorful and easy Tofu Shawarma Skewers?
I never really understood the appeal of store-bought marinades, when I got into cooking. And, this is coming from someone who’s dad has an entire shelf dedicated to marinades and spice rubs. I would make basic marinades at home for mushrooms, tempeh, etc. But, sometimes you want something with a bit more *POW* than your pantry spices can provide.
Marinades also come in handy when you may be traveling with said tasty eats! For this exact reason, I was really excited to try the Shawarma Quick Marinade from Wild Garden. Typically, I would go for BBQ sauce to brush on all things grilled, but this was such a nice change! The marinade is very concentrated and has a wonderful blend of spices like cumin, cardamom and herbs, with the right amount of tangy-ness. I added water to it, because of said concentration levels, and the marinade ended up perfect.
Another thing I love about skewers is that you can really customize them however you want. I went with seasonal veggies and fruits, but also made these choices based on what would complement the Mediterranean flavors of the marinade. I maaaaaybe also have a TON of zucchini from my garden, so it will be in all of the recipes, this summer! 😀 To round out the Tofu Shawarma Skewers, I placed them on a bed of arugula and Wild Garden’s Couscous Heat & Serve Pilaf. Pearled couscous with chickpeas, in a seasoned, tomato based sauce, that lightly coats everything. Seriously, a tasty pilaf in 90 seconds? Yes, PLEASE!
Oh! I’d be remiss if I didn’t tell you about this tofu tip: FREEZE IT! When you freeze tofu, the water inside turns to ice and expands all throughout the block. So, when you defrost it, there are bigger pockets for marinade to seep into. This was my first time using this method and it was amazing. I will certainly be doing this a lot more!
You can buy Wild Garden products on Amazon or you can see where their products are sold near you. So, be a hero at your 4th of July gathering next week, and make these Tofu Shawarma Skewers. You will not regret it! Also, be safe out there! <3
- 14 ounce package extra firm tofu, frozen, then thawed and drained
- 1/3 cup Wild Garden Shawarma Quick Marinade
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 1 cup peeled red pearl onions, or chopped red onion
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped yellow bell peppers, stem and seeds removed
- 1 tablespoon high-temp cooking oil, such as sunflower oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 4 lime wedges
- 8.8 ounce packet Wild Garden Couscous Heat & Serve Pilaf
- 2 cups baby arugula
- Pat dry the drained tofu and cut into approximately 1"x1" cubes. This should be 32 pieces. In a resealable plastic bag or food container, whisk marinade and water together. Place tofu inside and marinate for 30-45 minutes.
- Soak 8 long, wooden skewers in water. Warm grill over medium-high heat, or around 375 degrees. In a mixing bowl, place zucchini, pearl onions, tomatoes, and bell peppers. Drizzle with oil, and toss to coat. Add salt and pepper, tossing again to evenly coat.
- Remove tofu from marinade, reserving what is left of the liquid. Start skewering veggies and tofu, making sure there are 4 pieces of tofu on each one.
- Once stacked, place skewers on grill and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until solid grill marks are visible. Flip over and brush with remaining marinade mixture. Grill for another 3 to 5 minutes.
- Spread arugula over a large platter. Prepare couscous pilaf according to package instructions, and spread that over arugula. Once skewers are grilled, place them on the platter, brushing again with marinade. Top with chopped cilantro, and serve while hot, with lime wedges.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving:Unsaturated Fat: 0g
These Tofu Shawarma Skewers will soon be in your regular grilling rotation, this summer! If you need more ideas for there products, check out my Arugula Bulgur Pilaf Salad.
This post is in partnership with Wild Garden, all words and opinions are my own. Posts like these help me to keep this blog, and more recipes coming your way!