Before I went vegan, and when I was a regular at a Japanese restaurant in Orange County, I used to eat black sesame ice cream all of the time. Since going vegan, I had never encountered a Jackie-friendly version! This was a super sad time for me, even if I didn’t realize that I missed this flavor so much. That all changed when Cocobella Creamery opened in Hollywood. Because of them, I decided to make this Black Sesame Coconut Ice Cream, so that we can all enjoy!
I have to tell you though, when I got the black sesame at Cocobella, it was straight up amazing. Like, I’m an addict. So, if you’re in the Hollywood area and are looking for some vegan ice cream that is oh-so-good, you need to stop by there! They have late hours, too. Below is my cone from them with a scoop each of Black Sesame and Fudge Brownie. Mmmm…
Back to my recipe! The flavor is not necessarily the same as the one at Cocobella, but it is still SO good. It’s black sesame coconut ice cream, because the coconut flavor is more present, as it’s the base. If you don’t want to have it be as coconutty, use 1 can coconut milk + 1 cup water + 1/2 cup raw cashews.
Either way you make it, it’ll be super creamy, with that savory flavor of sesame seeds but sweet. And while I usually top my stirfries with all kinds of sesame seeds, I love having them in this ice cream for a change! I don’t think I realized there were so many health benefits to them. Black sesame seeds are high in Iron, Calcium and Vitamin E.
If you’re looking to make this black sesame coconut ice cream, you can find the seeds at a variety of stores. Some health food stores, like Sprouts and Whole Foods have them, while I got mine at an Indian market! (It’s probably a lot cheaper at the Indian market, to be honest.) Another thing, I added xanthan gum to this which really gave it an amazing texture! If you don’t have that on-hand, try 1 tablespoon of arrowroot, instead.
I love the addition of chocolate sauce to this cone, as it adds another layer of richness. The chopped almonds add a nice crunch to an otherwise smooth and fluffy treat. Of course, these are all optional, but I highly recommend them! So, go ahead, save yourself from the summer heat with this black sesame coconut ice cream!
Black Sesame Coconut Ice Cream
- 2- 14 ounce cans full-fat coconut milk
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 6 tablespoons black sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- caviar of 1 vanilla bean
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum, or 1 tablespoon arrowroot (similar but not the same)
Chocolate Drizzle (optional)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 4 vegan sugar cones, (gluten-free)
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- Pinch of black sesame seeds
- For the ice cream: Place all ingredients, except for the xanthan gum, into a high-speed blender. Blend on high, until sesame seeds have broken down into tiny specks. Add xanthan gum and blend until mixture starts to thicken.
- Cool ice cream base in the refrigerator for 20 minutes. Then pour base into an ice cream machine and churn for 20-25 minutes. After the ice cream has thickened considerably and is mostly frozen, transfer it to a freezer-safe dish and freeze for 30-60 minutes, or until your preferred hardness.
- NO ICE CREAM MAKER: Pour mixture into a gallon bag and freeze until solid (roughly two hours), break into chunks and place in food processor, run until soft serve consistency. Transfer mixture it to a freezer-safe dish and freeze for 30-60 minutes, or until your preferred hardness.
- For the chocolate drizzle: In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients until smooth. You can dunk the cones in the chocolate then place in freezer for a fun treat!
- To Assemble: Place a large scoop of ice cream onto the cone, drizzle with chocolate, then top with chopped almonds and a few black sesame seeds. Serve immediately - or face the drippy repercussions!
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Enjoy your weekend! And if you’re not already, sign up for my newsletter so that you don’t miss exclusive recipes!