Vegan Kimchi Fried Rice, from the new Bold Flavored Vegan Cooking cookbook! So easy and WAY delicious!
Y’all, something exciting has happened today! Bold Flavored Vegan Cooking: Healthy Plant-Based Recipes with a Kick by Celine Steen is out in the world! I saw this book before it was printed, and I’ve been eagerly awaiting its hardcopy version. Plus, now I can share this tasty Kimchi Fried Rice recipe from it with you, and believe me it’s SO good.
Before I get into the recipe, let’s go over this book a little bit! Celine, who has co-authored some amazing books, finally has a book of her own. And with it, she is setting out to prove what so many of us vegans know, vegan food can be PACKED with flavor. She dives up the chapters simply with “Savory”, “Spicy”, “Sweet”, and “Staples”. Plus, the adorable, “Meet and Greet Your New BFFs (Bold-Flavored Friends)” which talks about essential kitchen tools, what “umami” is, and “vegan sources of bold flavor”.
And because Celine is awesome, the blog tour includes quite a few recipes from the book! If you’re curious you can check her list out on her beautiful site, Have Cake, Will Travel. Personally, I’m super excited to try out the Balsamic Berry Panna Cotta and the Smoky Kale with Chickpeas and Peanut Miso Drizzle. I can nearly HEAR the food bursting with flavor and I haven’t even tasted it, yet!
But, what I have tasted, is this amazing Kimchi Fried Rice. This dish comes together quickly and is a total flavor bomb, true to the book’s title. The caramelized onions complement the tangy kimchi, and balance out what can sometimes be a pretty sour food. This dish can be served as a side, or be made an entrée with tofu, peanuts, scallions and more. Now, I’m going to go eat my leftovers!!
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) melted coconut oil or peanut oil, divided
- 1 medium white onion, peeled, trimmed and chopped
- 1 pound (454 g) Homemade Kimchi (page 27) or store-bought, roughly chopped
- 1 ½ cups (201 g) frozen green peas
- 3 cups will vary, (585 g) cooked and chilled rice of choice
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) reduced-sodium tamari
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) kimchi brine
- Garnishes: Chopped dry roasted peanuts and sesame seeds, thinly sliced scallions, crumbled roasted nori sheet, mild-flavored fried or baked tofu of choice, Gochujang Kimchi Sausages (page 38)
- Heat 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of oil on medium-high heat in a large skillet or wok. Add the onion and cook until it starts to brown, about 5 minutes. Stir occasionally. Add the kimchi and cook until it isn’t too juicy anymore and is heated through, about 5 minutes. Add the green peas and cook until bright green and heated through, about 3 minutes. Set aside.
- Break the rice apart with a spoon to remove clumps. In another skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of oil on medium-high heat. Add the rice to the oil and cook until heated through and crisp, about 3 minutes. Add the tamari and kimchi brine, and cook until absorbed and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Be sure to stir occasionally. Stir the rice into the vegetables to combine. Cook for another 2 minutes to let the flavors meld. Serve with your garnishes of choice.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
There are affiliate links in this post.