Rosemary Chickpea Salad Sandwich: Here’s a back-to-school-ready lunch idea that’s easy and delicious!
When looking at food holidays it makes sense that August is National Sandwich Month! I mean, look at everyone going back to school, and what is a more quintessential lunch meal than a sandwich? While my go-to sandwich was typically a PB&J or Tuna (this was pre-vegan), I went with more color and flavor for this one.
Originally, I was inspired to make this recipe by the Ozery One Buns in my pantry. You see, I worked with them for Summer Fancy Food Show, in June (as seen on my IG). And demoed various product of theirs, which was awesome because I’ve loved them for years!
Fast forward to Expo West this year, where they showcased their new Vegan Brioche Buns. WOWZA! So, I was very excited to work with them and hand out samples, especially because all of their products are delicious and vegan. That being said, the show went well, and I got to learn even more about the company. How they started as a restaurant and then went on to sell their pitas in stores because they were so well-loved! This was all in Canada, and several years later they found their way into US stores with their popular One Bun. I really admire that their products use simple, easy-to-read ingredients, most of which are organic.
Now, they have many products, like their tasty morning rounds; but I thought I’d stick with the original for this Rosemary Chickpea Salad Sandwich. In this, we have a chickpea salad seasoned with fresh rosemary, lemon, vegan mayo (for creaminess) and spices. It’s then topped with slices of crisp cucumber, tomato, red onion, a handful of arugula and creamy avocado.
Of course, you can customize your filling how you see fit! I just love arugula and avocados, plus my garden had some tomatoes and cucumber to offer up. For a well-rounded lunch, I like adding a side of almonds and some dried fruit. I mean, I may include some chips in there, too. 😀
Rosemary Chickpea Salad Sandwich
Rosemary Chickpea Salad
- 15 ounce can chickpeas drained* and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons soy-free vegan mayo
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch of garlic powder
- 2 whole wheat buns or 4 slices of bread
- 1 large avocado sliced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion or 6 small slices
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced tomato or 6 small slices
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced cucumber or 6 small slices
- 1 cup loosely packed arugula
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard optional
- For the Rosemary Chickpea Salad: Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl and mash together with a fork until the chickpeas are broken down into smaller chunks (not mushy). Taste and season with more salt, pepper, or garlic powder if desired.
- For Assembly: If you're eating this sandwich right after making it, I suggest toasting the buns for a nice touch. If you're packing it away for later, do not toast, as they may get stay after being packed.
- I build this sandwich upside down to help keep it stable! Start with the two bottom One Bun halves, top them with avocado, then red onion, tomatoes, cucumber, and arugula. Divide chickpea salad between both stacks, then spread dijon mustard on the remaining buns. Top the stack and serve! If you're packing for later, cut the sandwiches in half with a serrated knife, then place in a container and refrigerate until ready to serve.
This Rosemary Chickpea Salad Sandwich recipe is in partnership with Ozery Bakery, all words and opinions are my own. Posts like these help me to keep this blog, and more recipes coming your way!