Need dinner in a pinch? This Portobello Fajita Salad from Vegan Yack Attack On the Go! is packed with flavor and comes together in under 30 minutes. You’ll want the creamy avocado dressing on everything! Soy-free, Gluten-free, and Nut-free, to boot!
If you missed my update earlier this month, my newest cookbook, Vegan Yack Attack On the Go! is available for pre-order! To celebrate, I thought I’d share the first of many recipes from it: Portobello Fajita Salad. Here’s an excerpt from the book:
There is a restaurant that I used to frequent regularly with family, that had really good fajita dishes, served with a magical green sauce and fluffy cornbread-like balls on the side. While I don’t find myself there anymore, this fajita salad is even better than the dish I remember!
Now, this salad is from Chapter 5: Meals in 30 minutes or less; which is filled with convenient recipes that are great for both weeknight dinners, and lunches, too. Some other chapter titles include “Prep-Ahead Recipes”, “Lunch Box Stuffers”, “Bulk Cooking” and more!
I’m really excited for y’all to get your hands on this book. Compared to Vegan Bowl Attack! it’s more beginner-friendly. So, those of you who are looking to try some new things, but don’t want to be overwhelmed, will LOVE it. When I chose recipe testers, I made sure to cover all cooking levels, locations, and allergies! It’s super important to me that these books still be accessible, no matter where you are.
And if you’re wondering, there are a lot of recipes that are soy-free, gluten-free, or both; plus some nut-free recipes, as well. This Portobello Fajita Salad happens to be all three! Woohoo! Give this recipe a try, let me know how it goes, and pre-order the book (with lowest price guarantee on Amazon), as it comes out July 3rd. Plus, pre-orders bump up the ranking on bookseller’s sites, and that sounds great to me! Check out the #VYAonthego tag on instagram to see the recipe tester’s pics of dishes from the book, as a preview!
As always, thank you for your continued support. Creating recipes for you (and making them pretty) really gives me so much happiness, and I feel grateful as hell to be doing this going on 7 years. <3 <3
FOR THE AVOCADO DRESSING:
- 1/2 cup (120 g) mashed avocado
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) water
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) lime juice
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- 2 teaspoons agave nectar
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (10 g) fresh cilantro
FOR THE FAJITA SALAD:
- 1 1/2 tablespoons 25 ml sunflower oil
- 1 cup (120 g) slivered red onion
- 1 sliced poblano pepper
- 1 cup (100 g) sliced bell pepper, mixed colors
- 2 tablespoons (15 g) sliced jalapeño
- 8 ounces (225 g) sliced portobello mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces (225 g) romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces, or 425 g) black beans , drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup (10 g) dried sweet corn (optional)
- TO MAKE THE DRESSING: Place the avocado, water, lime juice, olive oil, agave nectar, garlic, and salt in a blender. Purée until completely smooth. Add the cilantro and pulse until the leaves are broken up into smaller pieces. Transfer the dressing to a squeeze bottle or jar, and refrigerate.
- TO MAKE THE FAJITA SALAD: In a large pan, warm the oil over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the red onions, poblano pepper, bell peppers, and jalapeño to the pan. Sauté for 5 to 7 minutes, browning the pepper mix on a couple sides and stirring occasionally. Once the onions are nearly translucent, add the mushrooms to the pan. Continue to sauté for 5 minutes, or until the mushrooms have decreased in size and are browned on the edges. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the lettuce between 4 plates, then top with black beans and fajita veggies. Drizzle dressing over the salad, or serve it on the side. Garnish with the optional dried sweet corn, and serve.
Tip: You can make this salad ahead of time, with the dressing on the side, and chill the fajita veggies, as they still taste great cold
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Remember to tag @veganyackattack or #veganyackattack if you make a recipe! I always love seeing your creations!
There are affiliate links included in this post.