Just in time for summer, these BBQ Bean Bowls are a sampler of everything you love at a cookout! Grilled corn and pasilla peppers, vegan coleslaw, quick bbq beans, plus, some cumin-spiced quinoa to make it a well-rounded meal.
Memorial day is just around the corner, and what good is it without some grilling? Okay, it’s also great for remembering those who have died while serving in the United States Armed Forces, but to me, that goes without saying. So, while you’re remembering those no longer with us, surround yourself with people you love, and some good eats.
These BBQ bean bowls are kind of close to a bowl recipe from Vegan Bowl Attack!, but simpler and come together pretty quickly! I even took the short cut of buying cole slaw cabbage mix, so that I didn’t have to shred my own. It didn’t hurt that it was leftover from a previous shoot I had done, which may have been the source of inspiration?
Here are BBQ Bean Bowls tips and customization ideas for you:
- Once you grill the corn and cut it into quarters, top it with whatever you like. Such as vegan butter & parm, Cajun spice shake, or fresh herbs with a pinch of salt!
- Same goes for the quinoa, I seasoned it with cumin, salt and bay leaves, but you can add fresh cilantro or oregano, plus diced tomatoes.
- I grilled pasilla peppers because they are what I had on hand, but any bell pepper or similar pepper will work in its place!
Now, enjoy your weekend and let me know if you make this delectable dish. Stay safe out there, friends! <3
1 year: Fluffy Mocha Pancakes // 2 years: Soyrizo Stuffed Mushrooms // 3 years: Grilled Pineapple Tacos // 4 years: Cauliflower Scramble // 5 years: Mango Lassi Sorbet // 6 years: Banana Berry Smoothie
- 1/2 cup white quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup water or vegetable broth
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
Grilled Corn and Peppers
- 2 ears sweet corn, with husks on
- 2 whole pasilla peppers
- Optional: vegan butter, for serving
- Optional: spice blend (like cajun, tajin, or BBQ), for serving
- 3 cups cole slaw tri-color mix
- 3 tablespoons vegan mayo
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon agave nectar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- Pinch of onion powder
- Pinch of dried parsley
Quick BBQ Beans
- 15.5 ounce-can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup vegan, gluten-free BBQ sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- For the quinoa, place rinsed quinoa in a pan over medium heat. Toast it until it is golden brown and has a nutty aroma. Adjust heat to medium-low, then add water, and bay leaves. Cook, covered with the lid vented, for 20 minutes. Turn off heat and leave covered for two minutes; add ground cumin, and salt to taste, then fluff with a fork or wooden spoon. Remove leaves before serving.
- While the quinoa is cooking, preheat your grill over medium-high heat. While it is preheating, soak the corn (with husks) in water for 5-10 minutes. (Assemble the coleslaw while you wait) Once hot, place corn and pasilla peppers on the grill, blackening on all sides (about 10 to 15 minutes).
- Once grilled, you can remove the corn husks, carefully and put the corn straight on the grill, if you prefer. Place peppers in a bowl and cover it with a plate, to steam them. Once they've cooled slightly, use the back of a knife to scrape off the skin, then remove seeds and stems, and slice into thin strips. Cut corn cobs into fourths, then top with the optional vegan butter and spices to your preference.
- While the corn is soaking, prep the coleslaw. In a medium or large mixing bowl, place coleslaw mix, vegan mayo, vinegar, agave, salt, pepper, onion powder, and parsley. Toss until combined and refrigerate until ready to assemble.
- Lastly, to make the beans, in a small pot over medium heat, place white beans, BBQ sauce, and red onion. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until everything is heating through and the onions have soften slightly. Divide quinoa, corn, sliced peppers, coleslaw, and beans between four bowls and serve. Add a few lime slices for squeezin', and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving:Unsaturated Fat: 0g