Summer might be over, but it doesn’t mean that you can’t keep grillin’! Tailgating season has just begun and these Grilled Plant-Based Beer Sausages are the perfect thing for it.
To start, I don’t follow most sports super closely. At this point, hockey (and the Vegas Knights) are who I’m about, and with good reason! BUT, I have done my fair share of tailgating and know just how much fun you can have prior to any games starting. With this in mind, I set out to make these easy-to-transport, grilled plant-based beer sausages that have bold flavors!
First, we start with Field Roast’s Italian Sausages – which if you’ve never had Field Roast, they’ve pretty much been a staple in my diet since I went vegan. I’m half Polish, so having a plant-based sausage was a game-changer! I’ve fed them to my non-vegan family plenty of times, brought them to tens of BBQs with mixed company, and they’re always a hit. They also have their Smoked Apple Sage Sausages which are soooo good. Plus, all of their products are made from whole-food, familiar ingredients!
Now, how do you take something that’s great and make it even better? Marinate it in beer! If you’re avoiding alcohol, try this recipe out with a non-alcoholic beer. And here’s how you can set this up to be super tailgating-friendly: put your Field Roast sausage in a zip-bag or reusable container with the beer about an hour before you head out. Place your sliced peppers/onions/mushrooms in another bag or container, plus your buns, and – in this case – Field Roast Chao Slices! Mmmm…
If you don’t know where to find Field Roast close to you, check your nearest Whole Foods or Walmart stores, or online at Veganessentials.com! Now, onto the recipe for these delicious Grilled Plant-Based Beer Sausages!
Grilled Plant-Based Beer Sausages
- 4 Field Roast Italian Sausages
- 1 cup vegan lager or preferred "lighter" beer
- 2 large portobello mushrooms thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper (seeds and stem removed) julienne-cut
- 1 yellow bell pepper (seeds and stem removed) julienne-cut
- 1 cup red onion cut into slivers
- 1 tablespoon oil for brushing grill
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 4 slices Field Roast Chao Creamy Original Slices
- 4 vegan pretzel buns or your preferred hotdog bun
- Dijon Mustard optional for topping
- Place Field Roast Italian Sausages into a sealable container, pouring beer over them to marinate. Place in refrigerator for 45-60 minutes.
- Heat grill or grill pan to medium-high heat, or roughly 400F. Once sausages have marinated carefully oil your grill or grill pan (a silicone brush works great), and place mushrooms, bell peppers, and onion slices on grill. Cook for 10 minutes, flipping them over halfway through.
- Season grilled veggies with salt and pepper, to taste, then move them to a cool spot on the grill. Making sure the grill is still hot and oiled, place Field Roast sausages on it, cooking one side for 5 to 7 minutes, or until grill marks are dark and you can flip them. Cook on the other side for 5 to 7 minutes.
- While the sausages are cooking, toast buns on another part of the grill over low heat. Take a slice of Field Roast Chao cheese, breaking it in half diagonally, and place one half on each side of a bun. Repeat with remaining buns.
- Once sausages are cooked, place one in each bun, then top with grilled veggies and an optional drizzle of dijon mustard. Serve and enjoy!
This post is in partnership with Field Roast, all words and opinions are my own. Posts like these help me to keep this blog and more recipes coming your way.