Did you ever imagine making a cake in an instant pot? Kathy Hester shows us how with her recipe for Holiday Orange Spice Cake, from The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook for your Instant Pot!
For years, I have admired Kathy Hester, of Healthy Slow Cooking, for cranking out so many quality, vegan cookbooks! Slow cooking to Instant Pots to Air fryers, and more, her food is delicious and her creativity is impressive.
I meant to feature a recipe from The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook for your Instant Pot MUCH sooner. But, you see, when I moved back in February I gifted my IP to my mother. Fast forward to a month or so ago, and I found one on sale. YES! Since then I’ve posted a Tomato Bisque recipe using it, and am now excited to share Kathy’s Holiday Orange Spice Cake with you.
Before we get to the recipe, let me give you a quick breakdown of this book! The chapters are as listed below:
- Introduction: Everything you Need to Know About Your Instant Pot
- Five Recipes to Start You Out
- Quick and Easy Homemade Staples to Save You Money
- Bean and Lentil Recipes that Cook in Half the Time
- Fun and Delicious Ways to Add in more Whole Grains
- Eat Your Vegetables: Easy and Elegant Plant-Based Fare
- Fast and Comforting One-Pot Meals
- Cook it all at the Same Time: Layered Meals with Sides
- Lastly, Decadent and Healthy Desserts
SO many great ideas in here, and I can’t wait to delve further in the staples to save you money. I’ll take all the advice that I can, in that department! One recipe that I did almost make instead of this Holiday Orange Spice Cake was her Indo-Chinese Corn Soup. Unffff, it looks so good. Or how about these Uttapams with Cilantro Coconut Chutney? I’m feeling like not eating before writing this was a huge mistake.😂
Finally, let’s talk about this cake. Since it’s essentially steamed, its not as light and fluffy as a birthday cake. It’s a lot like denser holiday cakes, without being gooey, and with plenty of flavor. Let me know if you end up trying it out!
Holiday Orange Spice Cake
- 1¼ cups (150 g) whole wheat pastry flour (or *use a gluten-free baking mix)
- 1½ tsp (4 g) ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ½ cup (120 ml) orange juice with pulp (about 1 medium orange)
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) maple syrup or agave nectar
- 2 tbsp (14 g) ground flaxseeds
- 3 tbsp (41 g) melted coconut oil (or **use applesauce)
- 2 tbsp (12 g) orange zest (or 1 tsp orange extract)
- ¾ cup (75 g) dried cranberries or diced dried dates (I used a mixture of cranberries and currants)
- ½ cup (55 g) chopped walnuts or pecans
- Oil a 6- or 7-inch 15- or 17.5-cm Bundt pan and set aside.
- For the dry ingredients, mix the flour, cinnamon, allspice, baking soda and cloves in a medium-size mixing bowl.
- For the wet ingredients, Combine the juice, syrup, flaxseeds and oil in a large measuring cup. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well. Fold in the mix-ins. Spread the cake mixture into your prepared pan and cover with foil.
- Put the steel insert into your Instant Pot, pour in 1½ cups (355 ml) water and add the stainless steel steam rack with handles that came with your Instant Pot.
- If your pan does not fit inside the rack handles, you will need to fashion some handles out of aluminum foil to lower the pan into the cooker. Tear off two pieces of foil about 3 feet (1 m) long, fold each one lengthwise two times. Lay the foil handles out on the counter in a plus sign near your cooker. Place your pan in the center, where the two pieces cross. Pull the handles up and carefully lift the pan into your Instant Pot.
- Place the lid on with the steam release handle set to sealing, or closed; cook on high pressure for 35 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally.
- Once the pressure indicator goes down, remove the lid, lift out the pan using the foil handles and remove the foil that’s covering the pan. Let cool so that it cuts easier; it will crumble if cut warm.
I hope that you all have a marvelous and safe Halloween!🎃
This post includes affiliate links. I chose to feature Kathy’s book and the publisher sent me this copy.