We’re halfway through January, and that means plenty of people are still giving more plant-based, vegan meals a try! I worked with Kroger on this Plant Based Challenge to make a couple of recipes where the emphasis is: accessible, affordable, AND delicious. From this challenge came these awesome vegan turkey lunch roll-ups and a chorizo breakfast bake. YUM!!
Years ago, when I started dabbling in vegetarian and vegan recipes, I was also eating a lot more organic foods. So when Kroger started launching their Simple Truth products I was STOKED! Their organic options were always affordable, and – because they have so many locations – more accessible than some natural foods stores.
Fast-forward to the present, and they’ve launched a whole line of Simple Truth plant-based products! Among them are plant-based meats, dairy-free creams, and even Place & Bake cookie dough. (Straight up game-changer) Of course, the products are still affordable, and make eating plant-based foods easier than ever. Click here for a SIMPLE TRUTH COUPON!
Chorizo Breakfast Bake
While I know that eating vegan meals can be easy, not everyone does! And there are still some misconceptions out there. With this Plant Based Challenge from Kroger, I went shopping at my local Smith’s for 99% of these ingredients. (the black Indian salt is from an Indian market) Then, I set off to make my first dish, the Vegan Chorizo Breakfast Bake!
Filled with veggies AND flavor, plus the Simple Truth Meatless Chorizo, which is a sausage, as opposed to loose crumbles. This recipe shows that you can have a protein-rich breakfast, that’s delicious and easy!
1 year: Vegan Recipes for Beginners // 3 years: Buckwheat Cranberry Avocado Salad // 4 years: Winter Bisque // 5 years: Vegan Kluski // 6 years: Cool Ranch Roasted Chickpeas // 7 years: Back to Basics Fruit Pie // 8 years: Raw Chocolate Mousse Pie
- 8 ounces (225 g) Simple Truth Non-Dairy Cream Cheese
- 2 green onions, diced
- 1/4 cup (38 g) pitted kalamata olives, diced
- 2 tablespoons (24 g) diced sun-dried tomatoes, if in oil, squeeze as much oil from them as you can
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 4 burrito-sized flour tortillas
- 16 Simple Truth Turkey-Style Deli Slices, (1 1/3 packages)
- 2 cups (64 g) firmly-packed Simple Truth Baby Arugula
- 1 large red bell pepper (or two small), seeds and stem removed, then thinly sliced into strips
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together Simple Truth Non-dairy Cream Cheese, green onions, olives, sun-dried tomatoes, onion powder, pepper, and salt, until combined.
- Then, lay out four, burrito-sized tortillas (lavash will also work). Spread roughly 1/3 cup (74 g) of cream cheese mixture in a rectangle shape over each tortilla. Then lay out 4 Turkey-style Deli Slices in a single layer, followed by 1/2 cup (16 g) baby arugula, and sliced bell pepper.
- Take the edge of the tortilla on the short side of your cream cheese "rectangle", and tightly roll it until all wrapped up. Trim the empty ends of the wrap (about 2 inches), and discard them. Then, pierce the roll with 5 toothpicks, roughly 1 inch apart. Using a sharp knife, slice in between the toothpicks, then transfer the roll-ups to a container until ready to enjoy! Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving:Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Now, tell me, what do you struggle with when it comes to plant based eating? Do products like these have a place in your meal prep? (They certainly do in some of mine!!) And lastly, which product are you looking forward to trying first? Don’t forget your COUPON!