Cold weather got you down? This super-easy Black Bean Stew has a lil’ kick to heat things up and comes together in 30 minutes or less! Now you can have a warming, weeknight meal in no time at all. Plus, it’s great to freeze for later!
I’m back! From Michigan that is. While I was there, I took some much-needed time off, but also put together some recipes for y’all. I didn’t have my enormous home-pantry at my disposal, while there. So, the meals were more simple, but still very delicious.
And, because it was freezing and snowy, soups were mandatory! I’m pretty enamored with seasoned black beans, but I wanted this stew to be more than that. So, there are big, chopped bell peppers and red onions, sautéed and charred to sweet/savory perfection.
Pair that sweetness with savory beans, fresh lime juice, cilantro, and lastly, a lil’ vegan cream, and you have a straight-up flavor party! Of course, I welcome the addition of any of your other favorites, like roasted corn or tomatoes. But, I was really into how easily this came together with so few major ingredients.
Shockingly, I was able to save a serving or two of this black bean stew for when my parents returned from their trip. My dad had a big bowl and was a fan! Which is great because I need to get as many vegan dishes in his life as possible. (I know you’re reading this! <3)
Last thing, before the recipe, I used vegan sour cream to top this stew, but a homemade cashew cream would also work. Maybe even add some diced avocado and thinly sliced radish if you have some on-hand!
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) grapeseed oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, chopped with stems and seeds removed
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped with stems and seeds removed
- 1 jalapeño, finely diced with stems and seeds removed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons (15 g) finely ground cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 30 ounces (850 g) canned black beans with liquid
- 1-2 cups (225-473 ml) vegetable broth, to preference
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving
- 1/2 tsp salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup (65 g) vegan sour cream or cashew cream
- Heat the oil in a stock pot, over medium-high heat. Once hot, add red onion and sauté for 2 minutes. Next, add bell peppers, jalapeño, and garlic, and saute for 7 minutes, stirring frequently, until edges begin to blacken and veggies soften.
- Then, add cornmeal, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, and cayenne pepper to the pot, stirring to coat mixture evenly. Next, stir black beans with their liquid into the pot, along with the vegetable broth.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then adjust heat to medium-low, cover with lid and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in cilantro leaves, along with lime juice, and season with salt, to taste.
- Divide stew between 4 bowls, and top each with 1 tablespoon vegan sour cream, one lime wedge, and a few leaves of cilantro. Serve while hot. If storing for later, leave the garnishes off and store in refrigerator for up to 7 days, or the freezer for 3 months.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 bowl
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 344Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 15gSugar: 5gProtein: 16g
The nutrition information is calculated by a plug-in, and isn't always accurate. Please calculate your own with the products that you use, as it will be different for everyone.