Love Lebanese dishes? Make this Kale Quinoa Tabbouleh Salad! I take the well-loved tabbouleh from a tasty appetizer, to a well-rounded meal. There are SO many fresh flavors in so few ingredients.
I know we’re in the last couple weeks of winter (at least per the calendar), but sometimes you need a salad to brighten up a meal. That’s what happened when I was in Michigan! Snowy as all get out, but I had a bushel of parsley and bunch of kale that I needed to use up.
Then I thought about it, what kind of dish uses a ton of parsley, and not many other herbs? Tabbouleh! If you’re not familiar with it, Tabbouleh is a Levantine dish made of herbs and bulgur wheat. Now, I’ve taken MANY liberties with this recipe and switched it up a few ways. BUT, the experience is still as refreshing and flavorful as the original.
How this Kale Quinoa Tabbouleh Salad is different:
- I switched out the bulgur wheat with quinoa, it’s what I had on hand but this also makes it gluten-free.
- Sure, I still used plenty of parsley, but I didn’t use mint. My mom isn’t a fan and I was making this for her arrival back home.
- I added some kale, to give it a little bulk, hence the addition of “salad” to the title.
- Here, I used zucchini, as opposed to cucumber. Both are great, but this is another preference my mom has. (lol!)
Overall, I am SUPER happy with how this dish turned out. All of the ingredients you can find at a local supermarket, and it takes about 25 minutes to make. You can definitely customize it to your preference, ie. add some chickpeas, or crumble some vegan feta on top. Oh man, that sounds so good.
If you give this dish a try, post a picture and tag me @veganyackattack and #veganyackattack on pretty much ALL social media! Seeing your posts is my favorite part of running this blog. Speaking of social media, I just made a TikTok profile. So if you’re on there, come say hi!
- 1 3/4 cups (414 ml) water
- 1 cup (180 g) tri-color quinoa, or all-white quinoa works
- 1 cup (30 g) finely ribboned curly kale, firmly packed
- 2 large tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1 cup (20 g) minced parsley
- 3 green onions, diced (with white parts)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, to taste
- Pita or corn chips for serving, optional
- In a pot, place water, plus a hefty pinch of salt, then rinse quinoa and add it to the water. Cover with lid, and bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Once boiling, adjust heat to medium-low, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Turn the burner off, place the kale on top of the quinoa and return lid to the pot. This will give the kale a light steam, so it's not as coarse. After 4 minutes, transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl.
- Next, add tomato, zucchini, parsley, and green onions to the bowl. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper, until combined. Pour dressing over the salad mixture and toss to evenly coat everything.
- Chill until ready to serve, or eat at room temperature, once assembled. I prefer to chill it 30 minutes before enjoying. You can make this salad ahead of time, and store it in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 260Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 313mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 5gSugar: 4gProtein: 8g