This combination of sweet and savory is simply summer in a bowl. This watermelon blackberry feta salad is deceptively fancy, and takes just minutes to put together!
Need an effortless summer dish that is refreshing and beautiful? I have you covered! This watermelon blackberry (vegan) feta salad takes one of my favorite summer fruits and adds a little flair. Plus, it gives you a non-pesto option for using some basil! (at least a little bit of it)
Now, if you stay away from watermelon because you don’t want to pick a bad one, the Kitchn has some great tips on how to find a good fruit! Hint: you’ll want to look at the colors, size, and listen to its density.
While watermelon is great by itself, it’s also a wonderful base to build upon. This pink fruit goes well with lime, which enhances its sweetness, so I took that and ran with it! I wanted this salad to have a good balance of sweet and slightly tangy with pops of savory-creaminess from the vegan feta.
Speaking of feta, I just used store-bought here, but you are more than welcome to make your own tofu feta! For this recipe I would forgo the oregano to so that the flavors don’t clash too much with the other seasonings in the salad.
And if vegan cheese isn’t your thing, try subbing it with some toasted pine nuts, like I did in this watermelon tomato salad! That salad has a similar vibe to this one, but more on the savory side.
Lastly, this watermelon blackberry feta salad would make and EXCELLENT bruschetta! (I just didn’t have any bread or crostini on hand to make this happen.) If you decide to serve it that way, make sure to keep everything to a 1/4 or 1/2-inch dice, so that it’s easier to spoon onto your cracker/bread/etc. Also, consider topping it with a drizzle of balsamic reduction to make it extra-fancy.
- 6 cups (roughly 3.5 lbs or 1590 g) cubed watermelon
- 6 ounces (170 g) blackberries
- 3/4 cup (110 g) diced vegan feta
- 1 1/2 tablespoons (2 g) chiffonade-cut basil
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) agave nectar
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) white wine vinegar or white wine
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) lime juice + 1/2 teaspoon lime zest
- Pinch of salt
- Place the watermelon, blackberries, and vegan feta in a large mixing bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together basil, agave, vinegar, lime juice, lime zest, and salt, until combined.
- Add dressing to the fruit and gently toss to combine and serve immediately. If you want to prep this for later, toss everything together except for the salt, as it draws the moisture from the watermelon.
If you don't have access to store-bought vegan feta, substitute it with homemade feta (minus oregano), or with 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 244Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 227mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 4gSugar: 29gProtein: 3g
Just thinking about eating this salad outside in the warm weather puts me in a better mood! I also put together this playlist for just the occasion. I hope you enjoy it! (I’ll be adding to it through the summer, though I suggest listening to it in order and with your song cross-fade on.)
And if you’re looking for more watermelon recipes, here are some ideas!