Fruity Roasted Fennel Salad
Fresh fruit, roasted balsamic fennel, peppery arugula and a superb strawberry vinaigrette make up this gorgeous salad!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
- 3 1/2 C . Fennel Bulb Sliced 1/4" Thick (Half Moons could work, as well)
- 3/4 C . Water
- 3 T . Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 C . Strawberries Leaves Removed
- 2 T . Fresh Orange Juice
- 1/2 T . Apple Cider Vinegar
- Pinch of Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 5 C . Baby Arugula Firmly Packed, or Spinach if you want a milder leaf
- 2 pieces Small Tangelos/Tangerines Peeled and Chopped into bite-size
- 1 C . Blackberries
- 3 T . Pecans Chopped
Preheat your oven to 400ºF. In a large, shallow baking dish spread out the fennel slices evenly. Stir together the balsamic vinegar and water, then pour over the fennel.
Bake for 20 minutes, then mix the fennel around and flip over. Place the dish back in the oven and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes, or until tender.
You can either dress the salad with warm fennel, or place it in the refrigerator for a totally cool salad.
Building the Salad
Distribute the greens between four bowls. Take the fennel slices and let most of the balsamic liquid drip off, the distribute those between the 4 bowls.
Add the tangelo/tangerine pieces to each one, along with the blackberries, then garnish with the pecans and the amount of vinaigrette that you prefer.
There will most likely be vinaigrette left over, so don't worry about using all of it.