Squash & Scramble Breakfast Tacos
A filling and unique meal of a squash hash + tofu spinach scramble served in toasted corn tortillas. Mmm, breakfast tacos!
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
Servings 4 servings
Squash Potato Hash
- 1/2 lb. acorn squash; peeled seeded and chopped
- 1/2 lb. red-skinned potatoes; peeled seeded and chopped
- 1 cup red onion diced
- 3/4 cup red bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup tempeh bacon from health-food stores, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive or sunflower oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh-cracked black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 14 oz. block extra-firm tofu pressed for 15 minutes
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Dash of turmeric for color
- 1/2 teaspoon black Indian salt aka Kala Namak
- 2 cups baby spinach
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 12 small corn tortillas
- Fresh cilantro chopped (suggested)
- Salsa suggested
- Vegan cheese shreds suggested
Preheat oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place all hash ingredients into a large bowl and toss together until the oil has evenly coated the pieces. Spread the veggies over the parchment paper in a single layer and place in the oven.
Roast for 20 minutes or until the potatoes/squash are fork tender. While the hash is roasting, get a large skillet out and warm the oil in it over medium heat.
Once the oil is hot, carefully crumble the extra firm tofu into the skillet and sauté for 5 minutes.
Stir the nutritional yeast, onion powder and turmeric into the tofu and cook for another minute or so. Season the scramble with the black Indian salt, then add the spinach to the skillet. Stir together until wilted and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Once the hash is done, warm the tortillas in the oven for a minute or two. You can either stir the hash into the scramble, then divide it amongst the tortillas, or divide both hash and scramble amongst the tortillas separately. Finish the tacos off with the suggested toppings (or don’t!) and serve immediately.