Smoky Vegan Fondue
Need a shareable, fun, party meal? Make my Smoky Vegan Fondue with Breaded Mushroom Dippers! Not only is this cheezy goodness plant based, it’s also nut-free and soy-free.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Servings 6 -8 people
Smoky Vegan Fondue
- 3 cups (495 g) chopped & peeled gold potatoes
- 1 cup (115 g) chopped yellow onion
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 dried ancho chile pepper
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 cups (360 ml) vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup (45 g) rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons (20 ml) tahini (if allergic, use olive oil)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle powder
- 1-1 1/2 teaspoons salt
Dippers (optional, to preference)
- 1 recipe Breaded Air Fryer Mushrooms
- 2-3 cups cubed bread toasted
- 1-2 cups diced apples
- 2 cups broccoli florets
Place potatoes, onion, carrot, ancho pepper, and garlic into a pot or sauce pan that is at least 2 quarts (946 ml), then pour vegetable broth over the top of the veggies. Cover pot with lid, and bring to a boil over high heat.
Once boiling, adjust heat to medium-low, and simmer for 15 minutes. Once the potatoes are fork-tender, take sauce pan from stove and carefully ladle the pot contents into a large blender pitcher. (You may need to do this in two batches.) Take the ancho chile pepper out and remove its seeds and stem, then add the skin back to the blender (or omit if you don't want more heat).
Add rolled oats, tahini, apple cider vinegar, smoked paprika, liquid smoke, and chipotle powder to the blender. Puree until very smooth, then let the mixture sit for 3 minutes before blending again (this breaks up the oats even finer).
Transfer mixture back to sauce pan, and if it has cooled, warm it until just about to simmer. Season with salt, to taste, and serve with fondue forks/skewers and dippers on the side. Enjoy!