These vegan sourdough biscuits are so flavorful with the help of vegan buttermilk and cheddar shreds!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 16 minutes
Total Time 26 minutes
Servings 8 biscuits
- 1 1/2 cups (190 g) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (55 g) whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2/3 cup (110 g) vegetable shortening
- 1 cup (205 g) sourdough starter unfed/discard
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) plain non-dairy milk
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup (50 g) vegan cheddar shreds optional
Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C, or gas mark 8), and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, sift the all-purpose flour, pastry flour, baking powder, and salt together. Use a pastry cutter to cut the shortening into the flour until it is crumbly. Add the sourdough starter, non-dairy milk, and apple cider vinegar, and fold together until everything is combined. Next, fold in vegan shreds, and do not over-mix.
Dust your work surface with flour and roll the dough out to 1-inch (2.5 cm) thick. Using a biscuit cutter (roughly 2.5 inches [6.5 cm] in diameter), cut the dough into 8 biscuits and place them on the baking sheet. Give them a light coat of cooking oil spray and bake for 15 to 17 minutes, until the tops are golden.