Let’s talk about drinking for a moment, shall we? I really don’t drink very often, and lately, I have found myself not even finishing the beers that I start with dinner. So unlike me. I suppose that I just haven’t had the mindset nor the appetite for various liquors and brews (although, brews always sound better to me). But, every so often the stars align and I somehow I end up drinking double sweet tea vodkas (Dangerous!!) for a couple of hours and getting a bit giggly. Of course, that can only last so long before I wake up with a sweet headache and a little less coordination than usual.
It’s mornings like those where I hate to get out of bed, but I know that I need to get a good breakfast and some coconut water into my system. If you didn’t know before, coconut water is great for hangovers because it has lots of potassium; and it’s easier to get down than a banana. So, one morning, last week, this happened and I was yearning for a filling and savory breakfast. Clearly a smoothie just wasn’t going to cut it.
I tugged my refrigerator door open to find an assortment of fresh veggies and a block of tofu. Clearly, a tofu scramble was in my near future and I couldn’t have been happier at the thought of it. One problem I have with a block of tofu is that it’s not a single portion, but it’s kind of irritating (at least to me) to keep in around in a Tupperware container, just waiting to spoil. By adding a good amount of veggies and spices, this recipe is perfect for two people to share, even if you’re not hung over. 😉
One Year Ago: Sesame Stir Fry
- 1/2 tsp . Coconut Oil
- 1/3 Cup Orange Bell Pepper Seeded and Diced
- 1/2 Cup Packed Kale Rib-less and chopped
- 1/4 Cup Green Onions Diced
- 1-14 oz . Block Extra-Firm Tofu Pressed for 10-15 mins.
- 1/2 Cup Tomato Diced
- 1 Tbsp . + 1 tsp. Nutritional Yeast
- 1/4 tsp . Onion Powder
- 1/4 tsp . Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp . Salt
- 1/8 tsp . Black Pepper
- A pinch of Dulse Seaweed Flakes
- 1/4 Cup Avocado Diced
- tsp Optional: 1/4 . Turmeric for Color
- Warm a large pan over medium heat, once hot, melt the coconut oil in the pan.
- Add the bell pepper, kale, and green onions to the pan and saute until the kale turns a bright color and very slightly wilted. This will take roughly 3 minutes.
- Next, crumble the block of tofu over the pan into (approx.) 1/2" chunks, folding it into the vegetables.
- Stir the tomatoes, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder into the pan and let simmer over low-medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the dulse flakes and diced avocado to the scramble, along with the turmeric if you use it, and stir it in long enough to heat the avocado.
- Serve the scramble warm with some extra green onions on top, or fill a toasted tortilla with it and have a breakfast burrito!
Vitamin A: 85%
Vitamin C: 109%
Check that out, 25 grams of protein in just one meal! And people warn vegans about not getting enough. 😛 This meal will be a great start to your morning and will keep you full and satisfied until lunch comes around.
Do you have any favorite tofu scramble mix-ins? What are they?!