A hearty, tasty, but healthy breakfast, this Tofu Scramble for Two is perfect!
Let’s talk about drinking for a moment, shall we? I really don’t drink very often, and lately, I have found myself not even finishing the beers that I start with dinner. So unlike me. I suppose that I just haven’t had the mindset nor the appetite for various liquors and brews (although, brews always sound better to me). But, every so often the stars align and I somehow I end up drinking double sweet tea vodkas (Dangerous!!) for a couple of hours and getting a bit giggly. Of course, that can only last so long before I wake up with a sweet headache and a little less coordination than usual.
It’s mornings like those where I hate to get out of bed, but I know that I need to get a good breakfast and some coconut water into my system. If you didn’t know before, coconut water is great for hangovers because it has lots of potassium; and it’s easier to get down than a banana. So, one morning, last week, this happened and I was yearning for a filling and savory breakfast. Clearly a smoothie just wasn’t going to cut it.
I tugged my refrigerator door open to find an assortment of fresh veggies and a block of tofu. Clearly, a tofu scramble was in my near future and I couldn’t have been happier at the thought of it. One problem I have with a block of tofu is that it’s not a single portion, but it’s kind of irritating (at least to me) to keep in around in a Tupperware container, just waiting to spoil. By adding a good amount of veggies and spices, this recipe is the perfect Tofu Scramble for two people to share, even if you’re not hung over. 😉
One Year Ago: Sesame Stir Fry
- 1/2 tsp . Coconut Oil
- 1/3 Cup Orange Bell Pepper, Seeded and Diced
- 1/2 Cup Packed Kale, Rib-less and chopped
- 1/4 Cup Green Onions, Diced
- 1-14 oz . Block Extra-Firm Tofu, Pressed for 10-15 mins.
- 1/2 Cup Tomato, Diced
- 1 Tbsp . + 1 tsp. Nutritional Yeast
- 1/4 tsp . Onion Powder
- 1/4 tsp . Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp . Salt
- 1/8 tsp . Black Pepper
- A pinch of Dulse Seaweed Flakes
- 1/4 Cup Avocado, Diced
- tsp Optional: 1/4 . Turmeric for Color
- Warm a large pan over medium heat, once hot, melt the coconut oil in the pan. Add the bell pepper, kale, and green onions to the pan and saute until the kale turns a bright color and very slightly wilted. This will take roughly 3 minutes.
- Next, crumble the block of tofu over the pan into (approx.) 1/2" chunks, folding it into the vegetables.
- Stir the tomatoes, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder into the pan and let simmer over low-medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Add the dulse flakes and diced avocado to the scramble, along with the turmeric if you use it, and stir it in long enough to heat the avocado.
- Serve the scramble warm with some extra green onions on top, or fill a toasted tortilla with it and have a breakfast burrito!
Vitamin A: 85%
Vitamin C: 109%
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 305Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Check that out, 25 grams of protein in just one meal! And people warn vegans about not getting enough. 😛 This meal will be a great start to your morning and will keep you full and satisfied until lunch comes around.
Do you have any favorite tofu scramble mix-ins? What are they?!