Slow Cooker Potato Curry Chili- An easy stew that fuses the flavors of curry and chili together to make one hearty, tasty meal! Vegan, Gluten-free, Soy-free
It’s that time again, where about once a year I get a weird sinus infection that eliminates clear-headedness (ha!) and a good night’s sleep. I guess it’s a good thing that I promised you guys a soup recipe in my last post, right? 😉 I’ve been tossing around this idea for a day or two, for the Slow Cooker Potato Curry Chili I mean, and I’m so glad that I decided to do it! Originally I just wanted to do something Curry-ish, then I found out that yesterday was National Chili Day and I couldn’t resist fusing them together.
The result is a savory, spicy, comforting slow cooker stew of sorts; with potatoes, different beans, lots of onion and some garlic (to battle the sickness), bold curry flavor combined with chili powder and some citrus to round it out. I actually read in Fine Cooking magazine that one of the key components to the perfect chili was making sure that you add an acidic note, in this case I used lime juice which went perfectly with the curry flavors!
With all of this water raining down from the sky, there’s nothing more that I want to do than curl up with a big bowl of this, some hot tea and a blanket.
Oh, I almost forgot to mention the bowl that I used! So, this story is kind of random, but just follow me here. One of my mom’s quilting friend’s mother unfortunately passed away a few months ago and she had to go out to Palm Springs to clean out her house. She had no intention of keeping anything from there, so my mom asked her if she would bring some bowls back for me to maybe check out. Well, apparently the communication didn’t happen fast enough because her friend ending up tossing everything in a dumpster (WHAT?!), breaking a lot of dishes in the process.
Then, some man went through the dumpster and left some of the dishes out next to it that he didn’t want. So, my mom’s friend brought the remaining dishes back; a cup & saucer (pictured below) and three vintage Whole Wheat pattern pieces that I took a liking to. Basically, I’m really glad that I could give these few dishes a great home and I also wanted to say that if you are ever in her position DONATE that shizz! I am not trying to judge, but I couldn’t believe that she just tossed them out; so yes, definitely donate old belongings to thrift stores, etc.
Now, find a special bowl and fill it up with this delectable and easy Slow Cooker Potato Curry Chili! 🙂
One Year Ago: Mini Pizza Pies // Two Years Ago: Squash Au Gratin
Slow Cooker Potato Curry Chili
A slow cooker stew that fuses the flavors of curry and chili together to make one hearty, and tasty meal!
- 1 pound (454 g) russet potatoes, scrubbed and diced
- 1 1/2 cups (195 g) diced bell pepper (I used half red & half yellow)
- 1 1/4 cups (165 g) diced white onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon diced fresh jalapeño
- 4 teaspoons (8 g) yellow curry powder
- 1 tablespoon (8 g) chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 14.5-ounce can ( g) fire roasted & diced tomatoes
- 15-ounce can ( g) pinto beans, with liquid
- 15-ounce can ( g) black beans, with liquid
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1-2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Turn the temperature setting to High on a 4-6 Qt. Slow cooker.
- Place the potatoes, bell peppers, onion, garlic and jalapeño (if using) into the pot, along with the curry powder, chili powder and smoked paprika. Stir all of them together until the spices coat everything evenly. Next, add the tomatoes, beans and bay leaves to the pot and stir together, adding salt and pepper to taste.
- You can either leave the temperature on HIGH and cook for 4-5 hours or LOW and cook for 6-8 hours (or until the potatoes are tender); it just depends on the slow cooker, really.
- Just before you are getting ready to serve it, stir the lime juice into the chili and remove the bay leaves. Serve hot and garnish with a lime wedge or bay leaf.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
I hope that you all have a terrific weekend!
This Slow Cooker Chili would go perfectly with my Carrot Top Herb Cornbread!
Monday 12th of September 2022
How spicy is this dish from 1 - 10, 10 being most spicy. I have kids....just curious to see if I need to adjust to spicy. I'm going to omit the jalipeno for sure. Thanks for making a vegan and non-dairy dish.
Jackie @ Vegan Yack Attack
Monday 12th of September 2022
@Cindy, I think without the jalapeño it should be fine! Just taste your curry powder to see if it has any heat.
The 19 Best Vegan Slow Cooker Recipes - FoodMasta
Wednesday 13th of July 2022
[…] Get The Recipe […]
30 Vegan Fall Comfort Recipes | The Black News Report
Friday 19th of November 2021
[…] Slow Cooker Potato Curry Chili […]
15 Easy To Cook Vegan Slow Cooker Recipes - Inspiringnorah
Wednesday 23rd of December 2020
[…] Full Recipe Here […]
Vegan Potato Curry Chili - paprikaspice.page
Tuesday 15th of December 2020
[…] recipe here: https://veganyackattack.com/2014/02/28/slow-cooker-potato-curry-chili/ […]