Slow Cooker Potato Curry Chili- An easy stew that fuses the flavors of curry and chili together to make one hearty, tasty meal! Vegan, Gluten-free, Soy-free
It’s that time again, where about once a year I get a weird sinus infection that eliminates clear-headedness (ha!) and a good night’s sleep. I guess it’s a good thing that I promised you guys a soup recipe in my last post, right? 😉 I’ve been tossing around this idea for a day or two, for the Slow Cooker Potato Curry Chili I mean, and I’m so glad that I decided to do it! Originally I just wanted to do something Curry-ish, then I found out that yesterday was National Chili Day and I couldn’t resist fusing them together.
The result is a savory, spicy, comforting slow cooker stew of sorts; with potatoes, different beans, lots of onion and some garlic (to battle the sickness), bold curry flavor combined with chili powder and some citrus to round it out. I actually read in Fine Cooking magazine that one of the key components to the perfect chili was making sure that you add an acidic note, in this case I used lime juice which went perfectly with the curry flavors!
With all of this water raining down from the sky, there’s nothing more that I want to do than curl up with a big bowl of this, some hot tea and a blanket.
Oh, I almost forgot to mention the bowl that I used! So, this story is kind of random, but just follow me here. One of my mom’s quilting friend’s mother unfortunately passed away a few months ago and she had to go out to Palm Springs to clean out her house. She had no intention of keeping anything from there, so my mom asked her if she would bring some bowls back for me to maybe check out. Well, apparently the communication didn’t happen fast enough because her friend ending up tossing everything in a dumpster (WHAT?!), breaking a lot of dishes in the process.
Then, some man went through the dumpster and left some of the dishes out next to it that he didn’t want. So, my mom’s friend brought the remaining dishes back; a cup & saucer (pictured below) and three vintage Whole Wheat pattern pieces that I took a liking to. Basically, I’m really glad that I could give these few dishes a great home and I also wanted to say that if you are ever in her position DONATE that shizz! I am not trying to judge, but I couldn’t believe that she just tossed them out; so yes, definitely donate old belongings to thrift stores, etc.
Now, find a special bowl and fill it up with this delectable and easy Slow Cooker Potato Curry Chili! 🙂
Slow Cooker Potato Curry Chili
- 1 lb . Russet Potatoes Scrubbed and Diced
- 1 1/2 C . Bell Pepper Diced (I used half Red & half Yellow)
- 1 1/4 C . White Onion Diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic Minced
- T Optional: 1 . Fresh Jalapeño Diced
- 4 tsp . Yellow Curry Powder
- 1 T . Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp . Smoked Paprika
- 1- 14.5 oz . Can Fire Roasted & Diced Tomatoes with Green Chiles
- 1- 15 oz . Can Pinto Beans with liquid
- 1- 15 oz . Can Black Bean with liquid
- 2 Leaves Bay
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 1-2 T . Fresh Lime Juice
- Turn the temperature setting to High on a 4-6 Qt. Slow cooker.
- Place the potatoes, bell peppers, onion, garlic and jalapeño (if using) into the pot, along with the curry powder, chili powder and smoked paprika. Stir all of them together until the spices coat everything evenly.
- Next, add the tomatoes, beans and bay leaves to the pot and stir together, adding salt and pepper to taste.
- You can either leave the temperature on HIGH and cook for 3-4 hours or LOW and cook for 6 hours (or until the potatoes are tender); it just depends on the slow cooker, really.
- Just before you are getting ready to serve it, stir the lime juice into the chili and remove the bay leaves.
- Serve hot and garnish with a lime wedge or bay leaf.
I hope that you all have a terrific weekend!