It’s finally becoming cooler here in Southern California, so now is the time for some truly comforting dishes. Grab a glass of wine, sit by the fire, watch the Biggest Loser Finale… Oh wait, that’s just me! ha ha I made this dish for my friend and I, and had plenty leftover, but it’d be great for hosting a small dinner party. What I really love about lasagna rolls, is that you get a designated portion instead of deciding what size your stomach would like while being hungry and maybe over doing it.
Another reason why I love this dish, specifically, is because it doesn’t have the traditional flavors that most people have come to expect from lasagna; in fact, it’s almost the exact opposite. With its rich and creamy butternut squash center, savory mushroom kale saute, hints of sage and browned “butter” sauce this dish’s flavors come together perfectly to create a warm and delicious dish.
You can always bake the squash ahead of time, so that the recipe is done faster the night that you make it. The way a bake my Butternut Squash is how I bake any other squash: Halve the squash, scoop out seeds, place face down in a casserole dish that has a 1/4″ of water in the bottom of it, poke holes in the rind with a fork and bake at 375°F for 30-40 minutes.
Makes Roughly 6 Lasagna Rolls
For Squash Filling:
- 3 Cups Cooked Butternut Squash
- 3/4 Cup Raw Cashews, Soaked in water for 2+ hours
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 1/4 tsp. Sea Salt
- Place all ingredients into a food processor and puree until completely smooth, taste and add salt and pepper to your liking. Set aside until lasagna noodles are done.
For Mushroom Kale Saute:
- 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 Cup White Onion, Diced
- 1 lb. Button Mushrooms, Sliced
- 1 1/2 Cups Kale, De-stemmed and chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Liquid Aminos
- 1/2 Tbsp. Dried Sage
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat, once hot saute onions in oil until clear. Add mushrooms and kale to the mixture and cook until both the kale and mushrooms are darker and wilted.
- Use the liquid aminos, sage, salt and pepper to season the mixture and saute together for an additional 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
For Lasagna Roll Construction:
- 6 Lasagna Noodle Strips, boiled for 8-10 minutes and drained thoroughly
- Butternut Squash Mixture
- Mushroom Kale Saute
- Lay Lasagna noodles out and spread roughly 2/3 cup of squash mixture onto each one. Evenly distribute the mushroom kale saute amongst the noodles, the proceed to roll them up CAREFULLY (they will be full) and set them “seam” down into an oiled casserole dish.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and move on to making the Browned “Butter” Sage sauce before baking.
For Browned “Butter” Sage Sauce:
- 1/2 Cup Earth Balance Buttery Sticks
- 1/4 cup Non-Dairy Milk
- 1 tsp. Dried Sage
- 1/2 tsp. Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Black Pepper
- 1/4 Cup Daiya Mozzarella Shreds
- Melt buttery sticks and milk together in a small pan over medium heat. Add in sage, salt, and pepper; stir together until it is as combined as it will get. Earth balance is made up of oils so it is not going to want to meld with the milk for the most part.
- Sprinkle the Daiya shreds throughout the mixture and cook until they are melted completely and the sauce is more of a cream. While the sauce is still hot, spoon over lasagna rolls.
- Place rolls into the oven for 15-20 minutes and serve warm with a nice salad. 🙂