A fun recipe for vegan pretzel dogs, plus you can enter for a chance to win your own copy of Bake & destroy, by Natalie Slater!
One book that I am really excited to have received is Bake and Destroy: Good Food for Bad Vegans by Natalie Slater. This book is totally badass! Not only are there enticing pictures taken by Celine Steen, there are awesome doodles by Betty Turbo and super clever recipe titles. Oh and the foreword is by CM Punk. Uh, WHAT?! So many levels of awesome here.
I felt like this book got me, as a person. My mom on the other hand, did not share in my excitement about the fun drawings and radical recipe titles. Party pooper! Or I’m just a nerd, either way, I don’t really care; I’m just stoked to have this book in my possession! My only regret, at this point, is that I didn’t have more time to make recipes from it before heading out-of-town last week. As some of you may have seen on my Instagram I am in Michigan for two weeks, visiting family and what-have-you. 🙂
But, the recipe that I did try was definitely a winner. I can’t even remember the last time I had a pretzel dog, and I have to say, I was a little apprehensive about making these. After looking at the ingredients and directions, though, they seemed easy enough; and they totally were. One weird thing was that I halved the dough recipe because I didn’t have enough flour on hand for the full version of 6-8 pretzel dogs, but I still ended up with 6 pretzel dogs. Maybe I just didn’t use enough dough on each one? I’ll probably never know.
What I do know is that I will be making these again, and that I get to share the recipe with you! You can also check out other recipes from the book by looking at her blog tour list. OH, and to top it all off, you can enter to win a copy of your own in the widget at the end of this post!
- 1 1/2 C . Warm Water
- 1 T . Sugar
- 2 tsp . Kosher Salt
- 1 tsp Package Active Dry Yeast, 2 1/4
- 4 1/2 C . All-Purpose Flour
- 2 T . Vegan Margarine, Melted
- 1 oz Package Veggie Dogs, 12 .
- 1 C . Warm Water
- 1 T . Baking Soda
- 1-2 T . Vegan Margarine, Melted
- Kosher or Pretzel Salt, to Finish
- Combine the water, sugar and kosher salt in the bowl of a stand mixer and sprinkle yeast on top. Allow to sit for 5 minutes, or until the mixture begins to foam.
- Add the flour and margarine and, using the dough hook attachment, mix on low speed until well combined.
- Change to medium speed and knead until the dough is smooth and pulls away from the side of the bowl, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the bowl, clean the bowl and then oil it well with vegetable oil.
- Return the dough to the bowl, cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place for 50 to 55 minutes, or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Preheat your oven to 450ºF. Once the dough has risen, pinch off golf-ball-sized pieces and roll them into 12-inch ropes. You might want to flour your hands and the surface you're rolling on because this dough is sticky.
- Wrap each veggie dog in the dough and place on a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet.
- Mix warm water and baking soda together. Brush each wrapped dog with this mixture and then bake for 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Brush each baked dog with melted margarine and sprinkle with kosher salt.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving:Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Good luck, everyone! And remember, this contest is open to US Residents over the age of 18, only. Sorry! <3
Disclaimer: This book was sent to me for free, in exchange for this review. All words and opinions are my own and honest. There is an affiliate link in this post (to help me keep this blog going!).