This Roasted Vegetable Noodle Soup will warm you right up with its hearty veggies, lo-carb noodles and light, herby broth.
When I was up north, near Cadillac, Michigan; it was rainy, windy and just plain cold. I think everyone knows what that kind of weather welcomes, besides layers upon layers of clothing, delicious soups! I had all of that kale and the huge rutabaga that our friend gave us from his garden, so making a root vegetable soup sounded like the perfect thing to do.
My father and I had stopped by Meijer and I picked up some fresh produce, but also a couple of products that I haven’t yet tried, like the tofu noodles pictured above. They are very low in calories, and looked pretty substantial, so I thought that I’d throw ’em in the soup for a twist on traditional egg noodles (bleck!). Everyone ended up liking them, which surprised me as I was the only vegan there; their texture was good and not as “off-putting” as some would say about kelp noodles.
This recipe is approximate, and really customizable depending on what kind of vegetables you like or have on hand. The seasoning was pretty minimal, but you are more than welcome to create your own version with whichever spices you prefer! 😉
- 2 Cups Rutabaga, Chopped into 1/2" chunks
- 1 1/2 Cup Celery Root, Chopped "
- 1 1/2 Cup Carrots, Chopped "
- 1 Cup White Onion, Chopped
- 1/2 Cup Celery Stalks, Chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 3 Cups Loosely Packed Kale, De-stemmed and Sliced
- 4 Cups Vegetable Broth
- 1-2 Cups or More of water, depending on how chunky you like your soup
- 2 Packages of Tofu Shirataki Fettuccine Noodles
- 1 Tbsp. Dried Parsley
- Salt & Black Pepper to Taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Place the chopped rutabaga, celery root, onion, celery and carrots in a large bowl and toss them together with the olive oil and a little salt and pepper. Spread them evenly on a baking sheet and place in the oven for 35-40 minutes, or when the carrots are softened.
- Heat a large soup pot over medium and place the oven-roasted vegetables, kale, and parsley inside. Cook together until the kale is wilted a little, then pour in the vegetable broth and extra water. Cover pot and bring the soup to a slow boil, add the noodles in and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and serve hot with some crackers or toast. Mmm...
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Delicious! So, there is your healthy, comforting soup with filling tofu noodles! I’ll definitely be buying those noodles again. 🙂