These apple fennel seitan dogs are a summertime necessity! Grilled onions and fennel, fresh arugula, and a homemade seitan sausage recipe.
HELLO BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE! Long time, no see! 🙂 Let me say that I’m sorry for the absence, there has been a hell-of-a-lot of things going on over here and clearly posting on my blog was not one of them. But, I’m back for a bit, with some delicious recipes that I can’t wait to show you. Because of all of the cooking that I’ve been doing (cookbook photography for Cupcakes & Kale!), it has been a little hard to prepare for me being gone in April to work Coachella again. And instead of boring you with words, I’ll show you some of what’s been happening with me via photos!
Expo West Happened (I know it’s a bit belated, but would you like to know what my favorite products were from it? Let me know in the comments!)
I finally organized my linens! (I may do a DIY post on that). I interviewed for a part-time job at Whole Foods Laguna Beach (Prepared Foods) and got it! Bandit got a trim!
I helped shoot a funny cooking video! (Photo courtesy of Jenny Bradley, editing by me)
Baking for the book
My younger (goofy) sister is in town from Phoenix! <3 (She’s going to hate me for this)
AND I got a haircut, woohoo!
Now, back to the food! These apple fennel seitan dogs are inspired by my favorite new Apple Fennel Coconut Bacon Flavor from Phoney Baloney’s. Plus, it’s Spring which means it’s time to break out the fennel and grilling it with onions makes it even better. The apple is subtle and gives the seitan just a touch of sweetness while the fennel seeds bring the flavor, and some extra spices to make it all awesome.
- 1 C . + 2 T. Vital Wheat Gluten
- 1/3 C . Chickpea Flour
- 1 T . Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 T . Onion Powder
- 1 T . Fennel Seed
- 1 tsp . Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp . Dried Sage
- 1/2-1 tsp . Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp . Yellow Mustard Powder
- 1 C . Vegetable Broth
- 1/3 C . Gala Apples, Chopped
- 1 1/2 T . Liquid Aminos
- 3/4 tsp . Liquid Smoke
- 1 1/2 C . Fennel, Sliced Thinly
- 1 1/2 C . White Onion, Sliced Thinly
- Optional: Oil for Coating
- 2 C . Arugula
- 1 T . Balsamic Vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Sift and stir together all of the dried ingredients for the seitan in a large bowl.
- In a blender, pulse the veggie broth, apple, liquid aminos and liquid smoke a few times.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry and knead for 2 minutes.
- Divide the dough into four pieces.
- Roll the pieces of seitan into logs, then place them on a large piece of foil (approx. 10″x10″).
- Wrap the foil around them as tight as possible, then twist the side-ends tightly in opposite directions until they won’t twist anymore.
- Place the sausages on a baking sheet and bake them for 25-30 minutes, turning them every 10 minutes (less baking time if you want to grill them). Your baking time may vary, but you can test if they’re done by squeezing them a little with some tongs to see if they are firm.
- Once they are done baking, take them out of the oven and wait 5 minutes to unwrap them.
- Toss the fennel and onion slices together and grill or roast until slightly browned.
- Toast the buns, fill with a little arugula, a sausage, top with grilled veggies and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. Serve warm!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Oh! I almost forgot that I have a really awesome giveaway coming up, next month. I know, such a tease, right? 😉