An nontraditional Grilled Buffalo Tempeh Mozzarella Sandwich, complete with spicy tempeh, kale, and melty vegan mozzarella.
Let me start off by saying that I miss the “real” world! I’ve been out here in Indio for two weeks and am so insanely busy. I have more and more posts saved up for you, but no time to get them up! And, cooking is out of the question, so I have almost 2 more weeks until I’m back in my kitchen at home and cooking up awesome dishes.
For those of you that didn’t hear, I’m on the inventory team in the merch tent for Coachella/Stagecoach, so I’m pretty much stuck in the desert for an entire month. What IS a relief is that I have some really great vegan options when it comes to show-day eats. Right now, there’s a Brazilian vegan booth with some great combo plates (including plantains!), a vegan Indian booth with lentil dahl, savory chutney and saffron rice, plus a RAW VEGAN booth! Pretty incredible to see veganism grow to change your typical food court booths. Even better to see it being a popular choice; even with Ruth’s Chris’ booth only a couple of stops over.
You may have heard that National Grilled Cheese day was this past Friday, and this here Grilled Buffalo Tempeh Mozzarella Sandwich is my contribution to all of the great posts from that day. I tried out a new, vegan cheese substitute with this one and loved how it turned out. Plus, I absolutely adore buffalo anything, as long as it’s vegan; so this ended up being a magical combination. To make it slightly healthier I added some kale to the sautéed tempeh, which also adds great color and texture contrast. Don’t you love it when food looks as good as it tastes?
This recipe really comes together in almost no time at all, save for the sauteing of the tempeh. It’s pretty flexible as well. You can switch out the kale for almost any other green, and adding some diced red onion may just take this sandwich to another level! Maybe you prefer sourdough over seedy wheat breads, which sounds so good, or adding some tomato and avocado. Excuse me while I wipe the drool from my keyboard.
- 2-3 ounces Tempeh, Cubed
- 3 tablespoons Water
- 1 cup Kale, Chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Buffalo Sauce, Adjust to your preference (I use Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Sauce)
- 1/3 cup Vegan Go Veggie! Mozzarella Shreds
- 1 tablespoon Vegenaise
- 2 Slices of Bread, Preferably Wheat or Sourdough
- Warm a small pan over medium heat on a stove. Place the tempeh cubes and water into the pan, cook covered for 5 minutes; then start breaking up the tempeh with a spoon.
- Cook uncovered until the water is mostly evaporated and add the kale to the pan, along with the buffalo sauce. Saute the mixture until the kale wilts, and in the meantime take the two slices of bread and spread a thin layer of vegenaise onto both sides of each slice.
- Carefully place the buffalo tempeh onto the bread and top with the vegan mozzarella. Then top the sandwich with the other slice of bread and put it into a panini press, George Foreman grill or onto a skillet. Cook until the cheese shreds have melted and the bread is golden brown. Serve warm!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 545Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 21gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCarbohydrates: 63gFiber: 21gSugar: 10gProtein: 25g
The nutrition information is calculated by a plug-in, and isn't always accurate. Please calculate your own with the products that you use, as it will be different for everyone.
If you’re looking for something a little different, check out my recipe for a Grilled Cheese Tomato Spinach Soup Bowl! I won’t lie, it’s pretty fantastic. 😀