I’m back! I don’t think I can properly word how I feel about being able to actually post on the blog. I’ve missed playing around with my own recipes and interacting with readers here, and on social media. The last time we connected, I mentioned that I was shooting photos for two cookbooks, simultaneously and that’s still kind of going on. I’m about to wrap on Jason Wrobel’s cookbook and am ecstatic about how it’s turning out so far!
After I get done with these books, it’s time to finally start on my own, but before then I’ll be heading to Vida Vegan Con in Austin, TX! Let me know if you are going to the vegan blogger conference as well, as I’d love to meet up with you; plus, I’ll be speaking and I’m excited/nervous about that.
There’s a lot more going on in my life, but what’s more important are these freakin’ amazing Spicy Teriyaki Chick’n Tacos. I’ve always been a fan of Gardein — their fishless filets are my JAM — but I’ve only done one or two recipes with it on my blog. This has got to change! If you’re not familiar with Gardein products they’re plant-based, meatless proteins that can replace animal products in traditional dishes. They use non-GMO soy and wheat, vegetables and grains, are high in protein, and have a large variety of products from meatless balls, to beefless ground, tasty chick’n sliders and the great Teriyaki chick’n strips that I used in this recipe.
Aside from all that, these products make ditching the meat easier than ever because they are super convenient and can be found in stores all over the country, in the freezer section. I’ve tried out several of their products on non-vegan friends as well as my parents and all are surprised (in a good way) by the great flavors and textures.
Another reason I’m stoked on Gardein is because they’re giving you a chance at a $1.00 off coupon because I’m working with their products for this post! So, free recipe plus a discount? I believe you’re making out on this deal. 😉 The coupon ends May 31st so snap it up quickly!
Back to the recipe, though. I wanted to do a spin on teriyaki/banh mi sandwiches and do an Asian taco-type dish. In this recipe you’ll find quick-pickled daikon and carrots, plus fresh herbs, spicy jalapeños and a delicious sriracha/toasted sesame oil/vegan mayo sauce (inspired by my good friend Joni!). Basically, these tacos kick ass and are great for a weeknight dinner.
Spicy Teriyaki Chick'n Tacos
- 1/2 cup daikon radish peeled and thinly julienned
- 1/2 cup carrot peeled and thinly julienned
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 6 oz . hot water
- Pinch of salt
Hot Sesame Sriracha Mayo
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons sriracha hot sauce
- 10 oz . package Gardein Teriyaki Chick'n Strips
- 4 corn tortillas toasted lightly
- 1 jalapeño thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves loosely packed
- 1/4 cup mint leaves loosely packed
- Place all ingredients into a 12 oz. jar or container and shake until the sugar is dissolved. Chill in a refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
Hot Sesame Sriracha Mayo
- Whisk together all ingredients in a small bowl and refrigerate until ready to assemble tacos.
- Prepare the Gardein Teriyaki Chick'n Strips according to the package (roughly 10 minutes all together).
- Lay out the tortillas for assembly. Divide the gardein between the four tortillas, then top each taco with roughly 2-3 tablespoons of pickled veggies, a few leaves of cilantro and mint, as many jalapeño slices as you prefer, and a tablespoon or more of the sriracha mayo sauce.
- Serve immediately, and preferably with an ice cold beer! 🙂
Stay tuned for a post later this week and an awesome giveaway! And don’t forget your $1 off coupon!