Delicious and easy to make, no-bake, Cocoa-nut Quinoa Bites! Make these ahead of a trip, hike, or workouts to have these healthy snacks on hand.
By now, a lot of people know of Quinoa, even if they have no idea how to pronounce it. But, do we all know about the origins and benefits of it? The plant is grown for its grain-like seeds and it is actually a relative of beets, spinach and tumbleweeds. It is from the Andes region of South America and was successfully domesticated 3,000 to 4,000 years ago.
The Incas held quinoa in high regard, even referring to it as the “Mother of all grains”, but when Spanish Conquistadors found the Incas, they dismissed the grain as “food for Indians” and suppressed its cultivation. But, now, quinoa is having its heyday and the UN has even declared 2013 as the year of Quinoa. Clearly, they are a little late to the party. 😉
As far as how good it is for you, the facts speak for themselves. Quinoa is a complete protein, containing 9 essential amino acids; the grain is also rich in iron, fiber, magnesium, manganese and Riboflavin (B2). It is really no wonder this “super food” has become immensely popular! Quinoa is also naturally Gluten-free, so it is a great addition to any Celiac’s diet, or anyone else for that matter.
So, now that you know a little more about quinoa, let’s get on to the Cocoa-nut Quinoa Bites recipe! I’ve made plenty of savory recipes with it before, so I figured now would be a great time to try out a sweeter one. Especially after that review on those Keen-Wah Decadence bars, Mmmm.. And the giveaway is still going on! Enter for your chance to win one of three Multi-packs from YogaEarth.
Anyway, these little quinoa bites are filled with deliciousness, it’s a main ingredient. 😛 They are perfect for curbing your sweet tooth cravings!
One Year Ago: Smoky Mushroom Slow Cooker Stew
Cocoa-nut Quinoa Bites
- 3 C . Cooked Quinoa I steam cooked 1 cup of quinoa with 2.5 cups of water for 20 mins.
- 1/4 C . Raw Cacao Powder
- 1/3 C . Maple Syrup
- 3 Tbsp . Creamy Peanut Butter
- 1 Tbsp . Coconut Oil
- 3/4 tsp . Ground Cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp . Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 C . Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
- After you are done cooking the quinoa, place it into a large bowl (while it is still warm) and stir all of the ingredients other than the coconut into it.
- Make sure to stir and fold it together so that everything is evenly combined. Because of the warmth of the quinoa, the peanut butter and coconut oil should melt and stir into it relatively easy.
- Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with wax or parchment paper, or a SilPat if you have one, and spoon 2 tbsp.-sized mounds onto it. No need to worry about the spacing as they will not expand.
- Place the baking sheet into the refrigerator for 30-40 mins. Get a shallow bowl or small plate ready with the shredded coconut for rolling the bites in.
- Once time is up, take the baking sheet out of the refrigerator and roll the mounds in between your palms until they are spherical. Then roll them around the coconut shreds to coat the outside.
- Put them back into the refrigerator for 2 hours or more for them to fully firm up. Snack on them as you please!
Iron: 7.7% All nutrition facts are approximate.
What are some cool ways that you’ve experimented with Quinoa? Did you learn anything new about this “super food”?