This slightly sweet, roasted fruit bulgur wheat salad serves as a great way to show off the tastes of Autumn. It’s also great as a side-dish!
Man, cranking out a few posts a week is hard work, and we’re only into the first week of Vegan MOFO! But, I will get as many posts up as I can during the week, I feel like I’m a glutton for punishment with all of the stuff that I’ve decided to take on. I’ve done another guest post, this time for Kimberly from Badger Girl Learns to Cook! Like this recipe, oozes the feeling of Autumn. Just take a look at the picture of it, below!
You may not be familiar with bulgur wheat in the way that you are with most other grains, but if you’re into Mediterranean cuisine like I am, you’ve had Tabbouleh (spelled several different ways); a grain salad made up of curled parsley, bulgur wheat, tomato, lemon juice, olive oil and green onion. But, here, I used it as a base to incorporate roasted, seasonal fruits and sweet potato into. Which would be great for a side dish at any holiday meal.
One Year Ago: Raw Quesadilla with Flaxseed Tortilla
Roasted Fruit Bulgur Wheat Salad
- 1 C . Bulgur Wheat
- 1 3/4 C . Water
- 1 1/2 Tbsp . Turbinado Sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp . Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 tsp . Ground Cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp . Ground Cardamom
- 1/4 tsp . Ground Nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp . Ground Ginger
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 C . Gala Apple Cubed
- 1 C . Bartlett Pear Cubed
- 1 1/2 C . Sweet Potato Cubed
- 1 tsp . Olive Oil
- 1/3 C . Golden Raisins
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF. Place the dried bulgur wheat grains into a large bowl. Bring the water to a boil, and pour over the bulgur wheat.
- Stir in the sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, ginger and salt into the wet mixture and let it set for 20-30 minutes to let the grains soak up the water.
- In another bowl, toss together the apple, pear, sweet potato and olive oil, with a shake or two of cinnamon, until the pieces are evenly coated.
- Spread the pieces out on a baking sheet or casserole dish into one layer and bake/roast for 20-22 minutes, or until the sweet potato is soft.
- Toss the roasted contents, plus raisins, in with the bulgur wheat and serve. I prefer it warm, but this would also be great cold!
Vitamin A: 177%
Vitamin C: 18%
This sweet roasted fruit bulgur wheat salad could also make a great breakfast – maybe warm it up over the stove and add a little almond milk? Mmm..
Have you ever cooked with Bulgur Wheat before?