Believe it or not, there are mornings when my breakfast is not made up of oatmeal or smoothies. It has been a while since I’ve made something that had chia seeds as the star, usually I add them to smoothies or oatmeal (surprise, surprise!) for extra protein and fiber. Taking visual cues from Oh, She Glows, I made a “fancy” layered parfait with this sensational vanilla chia pudding with the best peaches I’ve had in a bit and deeply colored blueberries.
What I love about this parfait is that it’s incredibly easy to make, and pretty easy to assemble. I mean, honestly, who cares if it’s a little sloppy? It’s all getting eaten anyway! And really, you can customize this in an infinite amount of ways; I think that the next time I make one it will be very chocolatey and filled with peanut butter. Oh, yes… 😀
But, that’s for another day, and possibly dessert. This refreshingly cool combination will take your mind off of the insane heat that’s been going around this summer, if not for just a few minutes.
1 year: Cool Gazpacho
- 3 Tbsp . Chia Seeds
- 3/4 Cup Unsweetened Non-Dairy Milk I used So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk
- 2 tsp . Maple Syrup
- 1/4 tsp . Vanilla Extract
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 Cup Medium Peach Sliced Thinly (equal to roughly 1/2 )
- 1/2 Cup Blueberries
- Optional: Hulled Hemp Seeds for sprinkling
- Stir together the chia seeds, non-dairy milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract and pinch of salt in a cup or bowl. Place in the refrigerator for anywhere from 1.5 hours to overnight (which is recommended AND easiest).
- After the chia seeds have had time to soak up the liquid and become gel-like, stir them once more.
- In a tall, skinny glass start making your parfait by spooning roughly 1/4 of the chia seed mixture into the bottom. Place a couple of peach slices on top, then 2 Tbsp. blueberries on top of that, followed by a couple of slices of peach (to block the pudding from seeping down as much).
- Repeat until you have used all of your ingredients, if you have chosen to add hemp seeds, sprinkle a little on top of each chia layer.
- Serve chilled.