Believe it or not, there are mornings when my breakfast is not made up of oatmeal or smoothies. It has been a while since I’ve made something that had chia seeds as the star, usually I add them to smoothies or oatmeal (surprise, surprise!) for extra protein and fiber. Taking visual cues from Oh, She Glows, I made a “fancy” layered parfait with this sensational vanilla chia pudding with the best peaches I’ve had in a bit and deeply colored blueberries.
What I love about this parfait is that it’s incredibly easy to make, and pretty easy to assemble. I mean, honestly, who cares if it’s a little sloppy? It’s all getting eaten anyway! And really, you can customize this in an infinite amount of ways; I think that the next time I make one it will be very chocolatey and filled with peanut butter. Oh, yes… 😀
But, that’s for another day, and possibly dessert. This refreshingly cool combination will take your mind off of the insane heat that’s been going around this summer, if not for just a few minutes.
One Year Ago: Cool Gazpacho
- 3 Tbsp . Chia Seeds
- 3/4 Cup Unsweetened Non-Dairy Milk I used So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk
- 2 tsp . Maple Syrup
- 1/4 tsp . Vanilla Extract
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 Cup Medium Peach Sliced Thinly (equal to roughly 1/2 )
- 1/2 Cup Blueberries
- Optional: Hulled Hemp Seeds for sprinkling
- Stir together the chia seeds, non-dairy milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract and pinch of salt in a cup or bowl. Place in the refrigerator for anywhere from 1.5 hours to overnight (which is recommended AND easiest).
- After the chia seeds have had time to soak up the liquid and become gel-like, stir them once more.
- In a tall, skinny glass start making your parfait by spooning roughly 1/4 of the chia seed mixture into the bottom. Place a couple of peach slices on top, then 2 Tbsp. blueberries on top of that, followed by a couple of slices of peach (to block the pudding from seeping down as much).
- Repeat until you have used all of your ingredients, if you have chosen to add hemp seeds, sprinkle a little on top of each chia layer.
- Serve chilled.
What are some of your favorite ways to enjoy chia seeds?
Please join in on the #peachlove fun by linking up any pasta recipe from the month of August 2012. Don’t forget to link back to this post, so that your readers know to come stop by the #peachlove event! The twitter hashtag is #peachlove.