Posted on June 10, 2013
I’m back this fine Monday with an awesome sandwich recipe for you. I have to say, it was so much fun getting back into the groove of making a recipe and styling it; mostly because the last few posts have been recaps. Lately, I’ve been trying to schedule posts so that I can dedicate a decent amount of time to each one, and not feel rushed; this way, I can have more fun styling shots! Hopefully, my photos will get better and better as time passes, as that is what I aim for.
Dedicating more time for higher quality posts makes for a great distraction. I say that because Corey (my SO) is on a couple of different band tours this summer and may only be home for 2 or 3 weeks until the end of September. Ah! I’m glad that he is getting big tours (as a merch dude), but it also sucks that he’ll be gone for so long. Although, this has always been the case in our relationship; which has been going on for over four years (!!!).
On a different note, I’ve been kind of obsessed with sandwiches lately. Not ordering them at restaurants, but making them at home and trying to out-do myself occasionally. The last one that I actually posted on here was this Buffalo Tempeh Grilled Cheese Sandwich; so, so good. Now, I have this Eastern European-type mess of a sandwich. This sandwich was brought you by my love for sauerkraut, my intense obsession with horseradish sauce and the fact that I finally got around to making Breadmaker Seitan.
I did end up modifying the recipe a bit by not adding the 2 tsp. of salt, as well as using 2 tsp. of Poultry Seasoning instead of the thyme/sage. It was super-duper easy to make, tasted great, and had a moist, not-too-chewy texture. I highly recommend it! The toppings for the sandwich are interchangeable, obviously. But, I really LOVED having the acidic mustard, warm sautéed mushrooms and onions against the cool sauerkraut and the savory seitan.
One Year Ago: Chocolate Sriracha Ice Cream
Two Years Ago: Shake Your Booty Breakfast Smoothie!
- ⅔ C. Thinly Sliced Onion Slivers (half-moon shape)
- 1 C. Button Mushrooms, Sliced
- 5-6 Thin Slices of Seitan (as pictured)
- ½-1 T. Dijon or Stone Ground Mustard
- ½-1 T. Vegan Horseradish Sauce
- 2 Slices of Whole Wheat or Sourdough Bread, Toasted
- ⅓ C. Sauerkraut, Drained
- Place the onion and mushrooms into a small pan, over medium heat.
- You may use a little oil in the pan if you'd like, but it's not necessary. Just cover the pan and stir occasionally, until the onions are translucent and the mushrooms have reduced in size.
- Once they are cooked, place them in a bowl. Using the same pan, lay the seitan slices flat on it, again, over medium heat. Turn over every 2-3 minutes, or when there is a slight browning on each side.
- Spread the creamy horseradish onto one slice of toast, and the mustard on the other.
- Next, stack the seitan first, then the drained sauerkraut, mushrooms/onions and the top piece of bread. Slice in half and enjoy with a great Hefeweizen, don't forget the lemon!
Give this sandwich a try, and enjoy your week!