It’s almost here. Mother’s Day is right around the corner! In my family, this means taking my mom out to brunch and/or doing it up big at home. This year, I remembered this holiday a month early, and called in to my mom’s favorite restaurant to brunch to make a reservation. I was feeling pretty good about myself until the hostess informed me that the only times available were 9am and 3pm. UH, HOLY COW. And, because Corey’s mom, grandmother, and sister, are joining my mom and I for a ladies brunch, I had to text everyone ASAP. So many schedules to line up! Meanwhile, I would have been totally ok with ditching that, and making my chocolate-loving mom (and Corey’s mom) happy with these fluffy mocha pancakes.
Alas, we went for the 9am brunch reservation! Which means early brunch mimosas for all; except me, for I am driving. Because this spot isn’t vegan, I’ll still be dreaming of these pancakes while I munch on fruit. Last year, I made pancakes similar to these, as well. But, they are of the strawberry & white chocolate variety, as opposed to these rich, deeply decadent, fluffy mocha pancakes.
For the base recipe of these pancakes, I love making vegan buttermilk. If you’re not familiar with this concept, I mix non-dairy milk with apple cider vinegar, making it curdle. It doesn’t work well with all milks, but in this case, I used Silk’s Vanilla Protein Nutmilk. Pea protein is added to a blend of cashew and almond milk to boost the protein content in a soy-free manner. The added protein really made for an amazing vegan buttermilk! Plus, added plant-based protein to pancakes sound like a good time for everyone.
If you haven’t tried either the Vanilla or the 2g Sugar versions of the Protein Nutmilk, I highly recommend it! I even find it really great to use as a coffee creamer, honestly. With 10g of protein per 1 cup, it’s easy to use in oatmeal, smoothies, or whatever else you’d like to boost the protein content of. Silk regularly posts great recipes with these on their instagram and Facebook, so check those out for more ideas. In case you missed the fun recipes I did with them last year, you can find them HERE!
Now, back to these fluffy mocha pancakes! I’ve completed neglected to mention the easy chocolate sauce. It’s literally vegan chocolate chips + Silk Protein Nutmilk + maple syrup, melted together and drizzled on top of these carb-coffee pillows. So go! Enjoy the hell out of these pancakes, whether they’re for your mom, or you. <3
Fluffy Mocha Pancakes with Easy Chocolate Sauce
- 1 cup Silk Vanilla Protein Nutmilk
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar/evaporated cane juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons Silk Vanilla Protein Nutmilk
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- In a small bowl, stir protein nutmilk and apple cider vinegar together, set aside to curdle for 5 minutes, making vegan buttermilk. In another small bowl, whisk together hot water and coffee granules, until they dissolve.
- Sift flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a large mixing bowl. Stir coffee mixture, sugar, oil, and vanilla into the buttermilk; then pour wet mixture into dry mixture. Whisk together until combined but still a little lumpy, do not over mix. Fold chocolate chips into batter until incorporated.
- Line a hot griddle, or large pan over medium heat, with a thin coating of high-heat cooking oil. Using a 1/4-cup measuring cup, scoop batter onto hot griddle, keeping at least an inch between pancakes. You may need to spread the batter out a little into a circle shape.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until there are no new bubbles and the edges start to brown lightly, then carefully flip pancakes. Cook for another 2 minutes, and place pancakes on plates.
- Repeat until the rest of the batter is used up. While the pancakes are cooking, make chocolate sauce.
- Place chocolate chips, protein nutmilk, and maple syrup into a bowl. Either melt chocolate chips in the microwave (1 minute), or in a double boiler, then quickly whisk together until very smooth.
- After pancakes are done cooking, stack 'em and drizzle this sauce all over! Optional: sprinkle with powdered sugar (pretty and tasty).
If you’re looking for Silk’s Protein Nutmilk to make these Fluffy Mocha Pancakes, they have this helpful store locator!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Silk. The opinions and text are all mine. Posts like these help keep this blog & recipes coming your way!