After cooking non-stop for that last photography project, I have to say that my enthusiasm for making food hasn’t been the same. As far as fun recipe ideas go, my brain has been exploding with them. But, when it comes to putting some actual food in my fridge, I have been less than successful at it. 😉 Luckily, the tomato plants in my backyard have been poppin’ off and gave me a great head-start on this dish.
I was partly inspired by a plate that I had at Mohawk Bend’s Authors Worth Celebrating dinner, starring Randy Clemens. There was a spiced Caprese salad where the Mozz was actually tofu marinated in a salty brine. It tasted great, so I thought that I’d give it a go at home and see what I could come up with. Secondary inspiration came from some herbed feta cheese that I used to eat in my pre-vegan days. While the texture is a bit different, I feel like this is a good sub and my mom (who really likes cheese) even liked it!
Pair the salty, herbed tofu-cheese with ripe tomatoes, peppery baby arugula and a squeeze of fresh lemon together and you have yourself a simple, seasonal salad that makes a great side dish. Am I saying that you shouldn’t try to eat this in one sitting? Absolutely not! Go for the gold! And don’t forget to let me know how you felt about it.
Before I give you the recipe, I’d like to know how everyone’s doing! How’s your Summer, thus far? Have you done anything exciting, or are you eating anything drool-worthy? Let’s hear it!
One Year Ago: Mixed Berry Coffee Cake
Two Years Ago: Brown Rice Veggie Roll
Herbed Tofu Tomato Salad
Pair the salty, herbed tofu-cheese with ripe tomatoes, peppery baby arugula and a squeeze of fresh lemon together and you have yourself a simple, seasonal salad that makes a great side dish.
1 – 14 oz. Block of Organic Extra Firm Tofu, Drained and Rinsed
1/2 C. Water
2 1/2-3 T. Sea Salt
2 1/2 T. Coconut Vinegar
2 T. Olive Oil
1 tsp. Dried Basil
1 tsp. Dried Oregano
4 C. Heirloom/Plum/Champion/etc. Tomatoes, Chopped
3 C. Baby Arugula
1 T. Fresh Lemon Juice
Freshly Ground Pepper
Optional: Pinch of Coarse Sea Salt
- Take your block of tofu and wrap it tightly in a clean dish towel/cloth. Place it on a plate and stack some heavy (but stable) objects on it to press the moisture out. Leave it pressed for 20-30 minutes.
- In resealable container or bag whisk together the water, sea salt, coconut vinegar, olive oil, basil and oregano.
- Take the pressed tofu and cut it into 1/2″ cubes, then place it in the marinade. Marinate it for 4-8 hours depending on how salty you’d like it to be. Stir it around or flip container over every couple of hours.
- Once the tofu is done marinating, drain it of the excess liquid and toss it together in a large bowl with the tomato and arugula.
- Drizzle the lemon juice over the top of the salad, along with some cracked pepper. Chill for 30 minutes and serve!
- If you don’t have coconut vinegar (you should really get your hands on some!), you can try replacing it with 1 T. ACV and 1 T. White Miso Paste.
Oh, and here are some Summer-esque desserts to accompany your delicious meal! Have a great week, everyone!
Check out Summer-y Sweets!