Summer’s soon ending, but not before our last hurrah! Make this Pistachio Matcha Ice Cream for a frozen, sweet treat, this weekend.
I did some traveling the past week, first going to LA to demonstrate two recipes from Vegan Yack Attack On the Go! at the Switch4Good dairy-free athlete summit. Honestly, that experience was so damn cool because I got to work in a really intimate setting and talk one-on-one with professional athletes and Olympians. To hear them exclaim how delicious the Banana Nut Protein Bites and Cauliflower Alfredo were was awesome, considering a small percentage of them are vegan. If only I could have brought some of this pistachio matcha ice cream with me!
Second, I went to Salt Lake City, Utah for the first time ever (both city AND state)! It was just for a day and a half, but the cooler weather was a nice reprieve from Vegas. Luckily, it was enough time to grab a delicious, vegan chocolate croissant from Eva’s Bakery, downtown. I’d like to go check out more of their vegan scene the next time I’m there!
But, before I went to either of those places, I made sure to whip up this refreshing and easy-to-make batch it pistachio matcha ice cream. Inspired by the leftover coconut milk and pistachios I had from another project, I thought adding matcha could only be amazing. I was right!
Matcha can be a little bitter when you over-do it, so I find the balance of sweet and creamy with a hint of matcha and nutty pistachio is perfect! Paired with a rich coconut milk and you have yourself a beautifully decadent and smooth vegan ice cream.
Now, we can all reap the benefits of this super-creamy, subtly sweet ice cream. Mmm.. OH! And before I forget, it’s the last day to vote in the VegNews Veggie Awards! If you have a moment, please vote for me in the best blog and cookbook categories. Thank you SO, so much for your continued support!
- 1 1/2 cups ( ml) water
- 1 cup (235 ml) coconut cream or full-fat coconut milk
- 1 cup shelled roasted salted pistachios
- 1 cup (235 ml) agave nectar or maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon (8 g) culinary-grade matcha green tea powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Sliced strawberries, for serving
- Place water, pistachios, coconut cream, maple syrup/agave nectar, matcha, vanilla, lemon juice, xanthan gum, and salt in a blender. Puree until completely smooth; like, VERY smooth. This may mean that you blend once, allow the broken up pistachios to soak up some liquid, then blend again, so that it breaks down.
- Ice cream maker: Now, you can either transfer to an ice cream maker, and run it for 25 minutes, then enjoy as soft serve, or freeze for an additional 20 minutes to harden. When you go to store it in the freezer again, make sure the next time you take it out, you allow it to defrost for 5 to 10 minutes to get a good scoop. Top with strawberries and enjoy!
- No-churn: Transfer ice cream base to a gallon-sized zip bag, and freeze until firm. Break the ice cream slab up into chunks and place it in your food processor, process with an s-blade until creamy, then return to the freezer for 30 minutes. Top with sliced strawberries and enjoy!
- You can find xanthan gum in most baking aisles or near specialty flours, but if you cannot find it, replace with 1 tablespoon arrowroot. It will not be as fluffy, but it will help.
- I have an ice cream maker similar to this one that I absolutely LOVE!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 343Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 217mgCarbohydrates: 50gFiber: 2gSugar: 45gProtein: 5g
The nutrition information is calculated by a plug-in, and isn't always accurate. Please calculate your own with the products that you use, as it will be different for everyone.
For more recipe ideas, check out my newly revamped recipe index! <3
This post includes affiliate links.