It has been entirely too long since I’ve made, or even had, pancakes and I have to say that these supremely fluffy Strawberry White Chocolate Pancakes were an incredible way to end that drought. Plus, they gave me a way to tie in two of my favorite subjects to celebrate Earth Month: making recipes using foods from my garden, and seasonal produce.
One of the reasons that I became vegan was sustainability/environmental impact. When I was researching foods it became clear to me that cooking with foods that don’t use synthetic pesticides and that are organic was not only better for me, but also better for the planet. What better way to guarantee that your food is as natural as possible than having an organic garden at home?
Now, I understand that not everyone has space for a big-ass garden where they live, but even having small pots for herbs or greens that typically have high rates of pesticide usage is a good start! I use a couple small areas of dirt in my backyard to grown kale, collard greens, cilantro, peppers, spinach, arugula, onions and some bigger pots for citrus trees like limes, Meyer lemons and Valencia oranges.
I use the lemons in damn near everything and this recipe is no exception. Lemon zest brightens everything and especially goes well with strawberries, which are also in season right now. I would love to try my hand at growing strawberries at home, especially because organic berries can be pretty expensive; maybe next year!
Now, to these pancakes. Supremely pillow-like, filled with chunks of strawberry and vegan white chocolate chips, plus there’s some whole wheat flour thrown in there. The creamy glaze is a combination of melted white chocolate chips and plain non-dairy yogurt from Silk, and it is straight up ambrosial. Lastly, please use restraint and save this sauce for your pancakes, I know that I was having issues with putting. the. spoon. down.
Fluffy Strawberry White Chocolate Pancakes
- 1 cup Silk Unsweetened Plain Cashew Milk
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar/evaporated cane juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3/4 cup diced strawberries
- 1/4 cup vegan white chocolate chips
- Optional: sliced strawberries for garnish
- 1/4 cup vegan white chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup Silk Plain Non-dairy Yogurt
- In a small bowl, stir non-dairy milk and apple cider vinegar together, set aside to curdle for 5 minutes, making vegan buttermilk. Sift flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir water, sugar, oil, vanilla and lemon zest into the buttermilk; then pour wet mixture into dry mixture. Whisk together until combined but still a little lumpy, do not over mix. Fold diced strawberries and white chocolate chips into batter until incorporated.
- Line a hot griddle, or large pan over medium heat, with a thin coating of high-heat cooking oil. Using a 1/4-cup measuring cup scoop batter onto hot griddle, keeping at least an inch between pancakes. Cook for 3-4 minutes, or until there are no new bubbles and the edges start to brown lightly, then carefully flip pancakes. Cook for another 3 minutes, and place pancakes on plates.
- Repeat until the rest of the batter is used up. While the pancakes are cooking, make drizzle.
- Either melt chocolate chips in the microwave (1 minute), or in a double boiler, then quickly whisk yogurt in with the chips until very smooth.
- When all of the pancakes are plated, use a spoon or small piping bag (plastic sandwich bag with small hole cut in the corner will also work), to drizzle the creamy sauce over the tops. Place a couple of strawberry slices on top if desired. Serve.
What do you do to help the Earth out?
- Do you compost or recycle?
- Maybe you’re a pro at upcycling?
- Or do you eat a completely vegan diet? I’d love to know!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Silk. The opinions and text are all mine. I will be showcasing their products each month with recipes and tips, so make sure to follow along! Posts like this help me to keep this blog and more recipes coming your way. ?