The end of summer is nearing, and that means it’s time for some back-to-school recipes! Try these crispy chipotle tofu rainbow wraps out, to make everyone envious of your fresh, flavorful lunch.
It’s been a minute since I last was in school, but easy-to-make lunches still come in handy! That’s why, for August, I’m going to be focusing on some quick, pack-able meals and snacks. Now, I have to say that my newest book, Vegan Yack Attack On the Go!, has this down pat, already. But, I can’t just go sharing all of the recipes from that, now can I? And speaking of the book, it’s up for a VegNews Veggie Award! So, if you can, please go give it a vote. <3
View this post on Instagram
ðThe VegNews Veggie Awards polls are now open!ð And we want to know: what was the best vegan cookbook of 2018? Click the link in our bio or go to VegNews.com/veggieawards to cast your vote for the best vegan products, places, and people (and books!), and youâll get the chance to win some amazing prizes! Vote today!!!
Now, back to this chipotle tofu rainbow wrap! I feel like the name may be pretty obvious, but let’s list it out: air-fried chipotle tahini tofu, plus an easy hummus sauce, are the stars. Then, there’s a ton of fruits and veggies: cabbage, romaine, carrots, avocado, red onion, and tomato! All wrapped up in a large tortilla; but, if you want a gluten-free option, just use a GF wrap or dump the contents into a bowl. Either way, still super delicious.
As for a tip, I toasted my wraps because I love the crunch and flavor. But, if you’re going to pack them away for lunch, maybe do a really light toast or none at all because it will soften as soon as you wrap it up. Another tip, I got a TofuXpress for my birthday a couple of years ago and it has been a GAME CHANGER! Seriously worth the money and I looove how much it expedites the pressing process.
If this whole wrap sounds amazing but you’re avoiding soy, chickpeas would be great in place of tofu. Plus, you could replace the liquid aminos with coconut aminos or more salt. I haven’t given that a try myself, so I can’t guarantee it’ll be the same, but if you do let me know! Lastly, this chipotle tofu rainbow wrap was great served with some fresh grapes, but you could pack a banana or seasonal peach for a well-rounded lunch.
Chipotle Tofu Rainbow Wraps
Crispy Chipotle Tofu
- 14 ounce package extra-firm tofu drained and pressed for 15-20 minutes
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2-3 tablespoons water
- 4 teaspoons liquid aminos
- 1 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle powder
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt to taste
- 1/2 cup plain hummus or whatever flavor you prefer
- 2 tablespoons diced green onions
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup peeled carrot ribbons or julienne-cut
- 1 cup tomato slices halved
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup sliced avocado
- 4 large (12-inch) tortillas or 8 gluten-free tortillas
- For the tofu: In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together tahini, nutritional yeast, water, liquid aminos, apple cider vinegar, chipotle, and salt, until combined. Chop tofu into 1/2-inch cubes and add them to the bowl, tossing them to be evenly coated.
- Transfer mixture to an air fryer basket*, and spread out into a single layer. Cook at 400F for 10 minutes, then take out and gently stir the cubes around. Cook for another 10 minutes at the same temperature, or until golden brown and crispy. While it's cooking prep sauce and filling.
- For the hummus sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together hummus, green onions, dijon mustard, and pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning to your liking. Refrigerate until ready to assemble.
- To assemble chipotle tofu rainbow wraps: Lay out one tortilla, and smear roughly 2 tablespoon of hummus in the center. Place 1/4 of the tofu on top, then 1/2 cup romaine, 1/4 cup cabbage, 1/4 cup carrots, 1/4 cup tomato slices, roughly 2 tablespoons red onion, and 2 tablespoons avocado.
- Fold two sides of the tortilla over the filling, then fold one side over that, keeping the filling taught, then roll until your wrap is laying atop the last side of the tortilla. Repeat for the remaining three wraps. Optional: Toast two sides on a panini press or on a hot pan. Serve!
Need some more lunch ideas besides these chipotle tofu rainbow wraps? Here are some more! (just click on the photo)
This post contains an affiliate link.