Have you ever tried grilling lettuce before? If not, you’re in for a delicious treat with this Grilled Romaine Chop Salad! This recipe SCREAMS summer with tomatoes, corn, eggplant, cucumber, and more.
Oh man! Today is the day! Vegan Bowl Attack! is now officially released nationwide (with some international stores?!), and has been spotted out in the wild. It is so surreal to have it already be in so many people’s hands! I am also feeling lots of excitement and nervousness, because I put a lot of work into this thing and, most importantly, I hope that all of you enjoy it. <3
Now, for the bad/good news, Amazon is out of stock Edit: Back in stock! (Holy cow!) But, you can find copies on Barnes & Noble and my publisher’s website, Amazon will be restocked soon. You can also find it in most major chain bookstores. I don’t think we were expecting this kind of excitement!
Luckily for you all, the VBA blog tour has just started, so there are and will be ways to enter giveaways to possibly win a copy of your own! I keep my book page updated with links to recipes and giveaways, so make sure to check it periodically. I am also hosting a giveaway for a copy, at the end of this blog post. 😀
I can’t do a post on the release of this cookbook without including a special recipe for you! It’s honestly hard to choose between them all, but I LOVE the Grilled Romaine Chop Salad, and it’s so perfect for the season. If you’ve never had grilled romaine, this is the perfect intro recipe!
For the salad:
- 1/2 pound eggplant, peeled and cut into inch-thick (1.3 cm) rounds, 225 g
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, 28 ml
- 1 tablespoon liquid aminos, 15 ml
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free liquid smoke
- 1 pound head of romaine lettuce (1, or 455 g), quartered lengthwise
- 1/4 pound cremini mushrooms, stems removed, 115 g
- 1 ear of corn, husk removed
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, cut in half, 150 g
- 1 cup partially peeled and chopped cucumber, 134 g
For the dressing:
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 28 ml
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, 28 ml
- 1 ½ teaspoons nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon agave nectar
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
To make the salad:
- Lay the eggplant out on a plate and sprinkle each side with a light dusting of salt to release some of its juices. After 20 minutes, brush off as much salt as you can, pat the eggplant dry, and put the eggplant slices in a large zip-top plastic bag along with the olive oil, liquid aminos, and liquid smoke. Seal the bag, shake it up, and put it in the refrigerator to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Prepare a medium-hot fire in a grill (350°F, or 180°C) and oil the grill grates.
- Take the eggplant out of the marinade and set the marinade aside. Place the eggplant on the grill along with the romaine, mushrooms, and corn and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until there are bold grill marks. Flip everything over and grill for an additional 3 to 5 minutes. Brush some of the leftover marinade over the eggplant for the last half of the grilling time.
- Chop the romaine and eggplant into bite-size pieces. Cut the corn kernels off of the cob. Divide the romaine between 2 bowls and top each bowl with eggplant, corn, mushrooms, tomatoes, and cucumber.
To make the dressing:
- Whisk all of the ingredients together until smooth. Drizzle over the top of each salad and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving:Unsaturated Fat: 0g
If you love this grilled romaine chop salad, you’ll love the recipes below! Just click on the photo. 🙂
Enter the Vegan Bowl Attack! giveaway, below! (US residents, 18 & older only, please)
There are affiliate links in this post which won’t change your price but will share some commission. 🙂