Looking for a stunning holiday dessert that is easy-to-make? Check out this impressive, vegan Persimmon Crème Brûlée with Sugared Cranberries!
While I typically reserve making this special vegan dessert for Valentine’s Day, I see this Persimmon Crème Brûlée becoming a staple in your holiday dinner menu. And who could blame you? This dish is absolutely stunning, with its sugared cranberries, brûléed crust, fresh persimmon, and a splash of green from the herb garnish.
I have to be honest, this recipe idea was inspired by the new formula of a vanilla, dairy-free creamer. Typically, in my vegan creme brûlées I used full-fat coconut milk. So, I thought a rich creamer may be a great sub, and am glad I tried it out!
Also, if you’ve never had a persimmon before, they are a fruit – usually native to Asia – that is ripe during Late Fall and Winter. There are generally two kinds that you find in stores, or farmers markets, Fuyu and Hachiya. Fuyu persimmons are what I’ve used here! They are more squatty and round, and only slightly soft when ripe. Hachiya persimmons are more conical in shape and are very soft when ready to eat.
Vegan, vanilla creamer is pretty easy to find at most stores, just call ahead to make sure it’s there. Once you get your hands on some, you’ll definitely want to make this Persimmon Crème Brûlée!
1 year: Glazed Cranberry Orange Scones // 2 years: Loaded Holiday Panini // 3 years: Squash & Scramble Breakfast Tacos // 4 years: Smoky Pumpkin Bisque // 5 years: Sweet Pumpkin Pizza // 6 years: Pumpkin Oatmeal
Persimmon Crème Brûlée with Sugared Cranberries
For the crème brûlée
- 1 cup vegan vanilla creamer
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup peeled and chopped Fuyu persimmon
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons tapioca flour/starch
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- 1/8 teaspoon Indian black salt aka Kala Namak
- Dash of ground turmeric
- Roughly 6 teaspoons fine sugar
For the garnish
- 1/2 cup fresh cranberries
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fuyu persimmon cut into half slices
- 4 pieces fresh rosemary or mint optional garnish
For the crème brûlée
- Place all ingredients into a blender and puree for at least 30 seconds, making sure there are no powdery chunks in the liquid.
- Pour the mixture into a small sauce pan, over medium-low heat, and bring to a simmer. Whisk the mixture continually until it thickens, without becoming chunky. Test this by seeing if a thick layer will stick to a spoon or finger, also if it looks like a smooth gravy (refer to pictures), or taste it to see if it seems grainy from the starch not being fully cooked.
- Divide crème between four 4-ounce bowls/ramekins, or eight 2-ounce crème brûlée ramekins. Refrigerate for at least 40 minutes to chill fully and become more solid. Keep in refrigerator until ready to serve, if making them ahead of time. (while it's chilling prepare cranberries)
- When you are ready to serve, sprinkle roughly 1 to 2 teaspoons (depending on how wide your dish is) of sugar on top of the crème, in an even layer. Using a culinary torch or broiler, melt the sugar until it reaches a light brown/orange color, or more if you like it burnt.
- If you're having a hard time melting the sugar, I suggest putting it into a dry blender and making it finer, so that it melts more easily. Once it's caramelized, garnish (following the instructions below).
For the garnish
- While the desserts are cooling, place the cranberries in a small pan, with the water over medium high heat. Once you can hear them begin to sizzle, sprinkle sugar over them and roll them around the pan until coated. Remove from heat, and transfer to a plate to cool for 15 minutes.
- Once crème is chilled, sugared, and brûléed, top each one with half slices of persimmon, followed by sugared cranberries, and if using, fresh rosemary. Serve immediately, as the sugar top will soften if sitting for too long.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Silk. The opinions and text are all mine. Posts like these help me to keep this blog, and more recipes coming your way!