Believe it or not, even food bloggers are sometimes stumped when it comes to thinking of the next recipe to create. Since I started blogging a few years ago, I usually do a few things to help me get through these times of creator’s block. First, I’ll look through my recipe ideas notepad, in my phone. If that doesn’t get my mind going, I’ll wade around the internet (if I have the patience). Lastly, I’ll check out my stack of food magazines (typically non-veg) for inspiration on things to veganize. So, after looking at the Farmer’s Almanac Eats 2017 Edition, I decided to make these Glazed Cranberry Orange Scones!
This recipe started out as Glazed Lemon Cream Scones, that were definitely not vegan. But, they were super easy to veganize, and I adjusted/added other ingredients to fit in with this holiday/winter season, perfectly. Three of the non-vegan ingredients were an egg yolk, heavy cream and butter; which I replaced with ground flaxseed, quick homemade cashew cream and vegan butter. They turned out AMAZING!
Like, so good that I will have a hard time not making these again tomorrow, and I’m not even through the first batch. I’m thinking these will make great holiday treats for friends and family, as well. Serve with tea or coffee, for brunch, and you’ll have yourself a sweet treasure! But, not too sweet. 😉
The great thing about making these vegan is that they are now free of cholesterol, plus no animal products were necessary! These Glazed Cranberry Orange Scones turned out a lot like my favorite scones at Mead’s Green Door Cafe, much to my delight. Now, to make some other flavored versions! Maybe pumpkin, or persimmon, or even strawberries and cream? Oh! Chocolate chip, too!
Before we get to the recipe, I just wanted to say that I hope everyone has a fabulous December and end of the year! (Can you believe it’s here already?) AND, I want to let you know that there will be plenty of new recipes coming your way, this month, so stay tuned! (Either via newsletter or social media <3 )
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold, soy-free vegan butter or refined coconut oil
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons non-dairy milk (or leftover cashew cream, if you have some)
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/8 teaspoon orange extract
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- In a blender, puree water and cashews until completely smooth. Make it so that 1 cup of the cashew cream is left in the blender, pouring the excess into a small ramekin. Then, add flaxseed and vanilla to the blender and puree until combined.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift flour, sugar, baking powder, orange zest and salt together. Add vegan butter to the flour and cut it into the mixture, using a fork or pastry cutter, until it makes very small pieces.
- Create a well in the flour mixture, then pour the cashew liquid into it. Stir together until the dough pulls together and there are no dry spots. Add fresh cranberries to the dough, folding them in gently, just until mixed in evenly. Set aside to rest for 4 minutes.
- Lightly flour your work surface. Coat your hands with flour and move dough to the work surface. Dust the top with flour and knead 4 or 5 times, then press into a flat circle, roughly 3/4-inch high. Then, cut the dough into eight equal pie wedges and place on the baking sheet. Lightly brush the tops with leftover cashew cream, then place in the oven to bake for 16-18 minutes; or until golden on top.
- Once baked, transfer to a cooling rack for 10 to 15 minutes before glazing.
- Sift powdered sugar into a small mixing bowl. Add non-dairy milk, agave, orange zest and orange extract to the bowl, whisking until the glaze is runny, but thick.
- Once the scones have mostly cooled, drizzle the glaze over them. Doing this over wax paper helps with clean up. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving:Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Other recipes like the Glazed Cranberry Orange Scones:
- Citrusy Pumpkin Oatmeal with Cranberries
- Cranberry Cointreau Coconut Ice Cream
- Cardamom Crème Brûlée with Candied Blood Oranges